• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blocks....

Guys I came across this a couple of days ago on Moparts. An interesting read, some of you may not have came across this yet. From RBRE. Check it out.

RE: Bulldog blocks. Over the last 4 years I have purchased 16 Bulldog blocks. Every single block had some kind of issue. They could all be corrected and used if you owned a machine shop except the last 5 we received. Many had the cam tunnel too tight, not an easy fix. All were too tight in the main saddles and needed align hone. Some had the main bearing tangs in the wrong locations. A few blocks wouldn’t accept a distributor because the hole was too small. Three blocks wouldn’t accept the oil drive gear and had to be machined longer for the gear. A recent block had a pin hole in a cylinder. All the blocks have an oil pump bolt that goes into the water jacket. We had 4 blocks that had the soft plug holes machined too small. Some blocks had the rear water holes tapped too big and the plugs would never tighten. All the HEMI blocks need to be machined for pushrod clearance. The oil pickups adaptor was a copy of the world block but is on the wrong angle and the adaptor + pickup hit the crank. Many of the blocks need to be lifter bushed because the lifter holes were .002” tapered. Last week we had a new 540 Hemi on the dyno for cam break in. When we removed the valve covers the oil was milky. Removed the intake and pressurized the tower and found 8 pin holes in the lifter gallery. When I called Bradshaw he said stop leak, should fix it and he would call me in the morning. That is not the answer I want to hear and wouldn’t send it out the door like that. After seeing this new problem we pressure tested the 5 new blocks I have and 4 of them all leak water into the lifter oil passage. There is no fix for this. I have called Bradshaw every day for 10 days and he will not even return my calls. If you have a Bulldog block or waiting for one I would check all the things I mentioned.

Ray Barton
wow that's nucken' futts

stay the hell away from them things

This is why i say wait, the fact that callies is approved by mopar may have some weight but still wait to order.
Or save 200 pounds off the front end and pony up for the redesigned in 2019 Bill Mitchell Products aluminum block!
These come from BMP basically ready to GO! I will post up the build as it goes along, and I'm excited to have made that choice. The block is certainly the foundation of ANY build when it comes down to it, and I don't have to worry about spending good money after bad from those who choose a block that needs a lot of "corrective machining" and that means TIME and MONEY to bring a substandard product to a usable state. No sir! Spend the money up front! That way the budget you may have won't be eaten up with "additional machining required" to fix the block manufacturer's poor design, poor quality control, and apparently in the case of Bulldog, not really caring about the product or reputation. The one question I had to ask Bill Mitchell got Bill on the phone and the call was fantastic!

I still think it’s best to find one in an old barn some where, a buddy of mine that helped me with my motor has a 515 on a stand with alum. heads, kids me about wanting to buy it but I’m happy with my 440

I’ll confirm what Malex related in his post about Ray Barton’s experiences with the Bulldog blocks. He told me the same things about them when I was up there getting my 540 KB built.

getting my 540 KB built.
Just curious, why a 540? I like the reduced piston speed and related reduction in stress of a 4.50 bore x 4.25 stroke vs. a 572 (4.5²) and I'm working off a transmission imposed limit of 700 ft lbs too, so I figure a little shorter stroke would lend to a few more RPMs & HP and keep the torque in range. I know the cam has more to do with that than a difference of ¼" of stroke, but hey...I'm just using common sense, and an engine designer builder may say that's all wacko, but one that matters to me, AndyF already agreed w/my perspective so how far off can I really be!
:thumbsup:

I’m working on a 572 built on an old World aluminum platform. The machine shop I have it at has had to fix a few issues before it can be assembled. Everything that has been discovered is fixed. It has not been a straight path, but the end result will be very nice. It is frustrating how much work is needed to these aftermarket blocks before you can assemble them.

Will be a 14-1 build with 440-1 heads that have been worked on by PRH. Molnar crank and rods with Diamond pistons. Should be close to a 900 HP build.

Be great under the hood of my 71.

Here is a mock up photo going back almost 2 years ago now.

9C102082-EAE7-4E35-A0DD-EA08C8960CA6.jpeg

Just curious, why a 540? I like the reduced piston speed and related reduction in stress of a 4.50 bore x 4.25 stroke vs. a 572 (4.5²) and I'm working off a transmission imposed limit of 700 ft lbs too, so I figure a little shorter stroke would lend to a few more RPMs & HP and keep the torque in range. I know the cam has more to do with that than a difference of ¼" of stroke, but hey...I'm just using common sense, and an engine designer builder may say that's all wacko, but one that matters to me, AndyF already agreed w/my perspective so how far off can I really be!
That’s correct in theory, but in reality, it’s a nonissue. Most of these street engines will never see the rpm where that’s a concern. The 4.500 stroke will really pull on a port down low and make crazy torque on the street.

The 4.500 stroke will really pull on a port down low and make crazy torque on the street.
...and I like that, but the Passon 5 speed was around $5,500 and I like it, and I believe the 700 ft lbs continuous torque capacity is conservative, but I don't want to exceed it, although I would like to ride a torque "curve" as flat and as close to that number as possible. I still have some time and the build will be protracted barring some financial windfall, but the BMP block can accept a 4.5 stroke without any internal clearancing, and the relative cost would be the same. The other factor is the intake I want to use is the Weiand P3690982 6bbl Cross Flow old school Super Stock unit modded to Max Wedge ports and the Promax modded Holley six barrel carbs I have. If I were to do anything different it would only be converting that intake to fuel injection by F&B. That intake has around a 6,700 RPM ceiling on a 440, so I'm not sure how a larger displacement engine would affect its usable RPM range, but I think I should plan on keeping the power range in the 6,700 RPM and below range, which also goes towards my desire to keep the spring rates reasonable.

I initially talked to Ray Barton on building a 572, he said if it was him he’d build a 540, he liked the shorter stroke, and he said using the 7.10 rods with the reduced piston weight would be a plus. Also said we’d get less piston movement side to side with the longer rods.

I initially talked to Ray Barton on building a 572, he said if it was him he’d build a 540, he liked the shorter stroke, and he said using the 7.10 rods with the reduced piston weight would be a plus. Also said we’d get less piston movement side to side with the longer rods.
Thanks! It's so nice to hear some degree of confirmation that my thought process on that isn't wacko...
:lowdown:AndyF said as much in a PM regarding me stating my reasoning behind the 4.25 stroke X 4.50 bore (BMP block comes with a 4.49 bore IIRC) and also said "use the 7.10 rods" or more specifically, "Molnar BB Chevy rods. 2.200 rod journal, 0.990 piston pin"
I also want the ability to cross the stripe at the far end of the 1320 in 4th gear w/out having to have too tall of a tire, keeping my 4.10 gears and leaving 5th gear for the highway. Like I said though, SS racers who used the Weiand CrossFlow 6bbl said it was over in the upper 6K range, so that is a factor to consider. Other than the Indy ModMan w/6bbl top, the Weiand P3690982 6bbl is my best bet for my unwavering insistence that 3x2 of something MUST feed whatever mill lies beneath the hood.
There's a "V" in my VIN, so I'm paying respect to the birth certificate of my 70 Roadrunner, and 6bbl induction, whether carbs or DPI/EFI sure looks cool!!

And the same holds true with the 7.100 rod in a 572...

Personally mine is a later Mega Block. No issues with it ever at 4.5” bore. It’s a 4.5” stroke, 7.100” rod. Bob weight is 2222 grams w/steel rods. RPM goes past 7100 on every pass. Same pistons, rings, rods, rod bearings over 400 passes. Some worry to much about theory. For what it’s worth there are redesigned Indy blocks on the way. I know the guy now in charge of machining for Indy. My bet is people will be very happy with them.
Doug

RPM goes past 7100 on every pass. Same pistons, rings, rods, rod bearings over 400 passes.
What kind of lift, and open and closed spring pressures?
For what it’s worth there are redesigned Indy blocks on the way. I know the guy now in charge of machining for Indy. My bet is people will be very happy with them.
IF they sell at the current base price of $5500, the BMP aluminum block available now is basically the same price at $5800 and is supposed to be ready to add parts and go.
I already made my choice, and after talking with Bill himself on the only call I made w/a ? about the timeline for them switching from nodular iron to billet steel main caps (not that it matters for my application, but mine will have steel caps) I was so impressed with Bill Mitchell himself answering my ? and then speaking so highly of Southeat R/T my vendor, I couldn't be happier.

285/[email protected]” .471” at the lobe, .800” at the valve. The new Indy block will be an improvement over the current block.
Doug

Called Callies today....they said for sure by the end of the year.

AGAIN, yet another reason why I am extremely happy with my builder who is and has been my parts source for many of the parts and systems I had installed last summer/fall, in preparation for the dramatic power increase of the stroker motor.
I now have a Bill Mitchell Products big bore RB block secured and on its way to their machining and assembly facilities in North Carolina. Southeast Performance and John Mercedes have been OUTSTANDING to do business with. I'm still looking at 10/2022 to have the engine under my hood, but the biggest piece of the puzzle is in place!
:thumbsup: :bananadance: :bananaweed: :confederateflag: :usflag: :moparsmiley::moparsmiley::luvplace:

Auto Transport Service
Back