• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bogart Racing Wheels making Super Trick Style Wheels

Thanks for posting this Mike! I started that "Super Trick" thread. Since then, I purchased six wheels...two sets of rears and one set of fronts. The new version by Bogart are gorgeous! I'm thinking that if you were to change the head of the bolts that bolt the two halves together, they'd look almost identical. Being a nostalgia nut, I'll stick with the originals. I will check pricing for the Bogart's though...just to make me feel better about my purchases...LOL
First glance at the bogart wheel I saw a centerline! The bolts would be the easiest detail to reproduce. Missed the mark there. Supertricks always looked thinner and flatter to me. Maybe its my memory. One thing I do remember is supertricks having a problem leaking air. Who wanted to add the weight of a tube to their wheels? Parked racecars with flat tires. One reason centerlines became so popular....

After having slicks go down at speed, with and without tubes.....I run tubes.

After having slicks go down at speed, with and without tubes.....I run tubes.
That must have been an eye opener! Back end start swaying? Pulled one way? Or you just felt it happening and knew your losing air?
Check this out. Not the best pic, but slotted mag wheels. They are magnesium and have 4 slots. I have never seen any before and have found 1 picture of one on the internet. Not only that but I found this pair in my shop/garage. LOL. A friend had stashed them there and never told me. Been there about 5 years before I ran across them. Had them on my bantam. Now I have halibrand 2 piece sprint car wheels in a 16 inch size on that car.
20190212_000849.jpg

I felt it going down with the tubes. Without...instantly on the ground. The spool kept the car driving more straight. I don't like to think what it might be like with a posi and no tube. Don't wanna know. How wide are those slots? Pretty cool.

I was in the custom wheel manufacturing business from 1970 thru 1990.
In the mid 1980's the forerunner to Bogart Racing Wheels was a company named Monocoque Wheel in the San Diego area. Monocoque Wheel was the true originator or the lightweight spun aluminum wheel. CRAGAR WHEEL picked up on the coming demand for such a wheel made exclusively for drag racing. They then started producing the CRAGAR Super Trick Wheel. It was made in 2 halfs and then bolted together. This wheel immediately took over as the absolute most popular wheel for drag racing because of it very light weight.
As stated above, I was with FENTON WHEEL COMPANY during all this time. Before the advent of the Cragar Super Trick 99% of all drag racers were using our lightweight 15x3.5 aluminum slot wheel (called the Gyro) on the front of their drag race cars. We also made a 15x11 for the rear.
Top racers including Don Nicholson, Don Carlton (Mopar Missile), Mancini (Gratiot Auto Supply), Bill Bagshaw (Red Light Bandit) just to name a few. About the only racers not using our wheels were Sox& Martin, Bill Jenkins and Dick Landy were all under contract with either Cragar or Keystone.
But...to put due where due it due.....it was that small company (Monocoque Wheel) that started the whole Super Trick business.
refering back in the thread to post no.s 5&6 I put a full set of CENTER LINE wheels on my 64 plymouth in 1975 !!! fact. had the only set in town for a few years. Dave.

75. Thats when I seen a pro street car for the first time. 72 vega hatchback,red with spun aluminum wheels. Very clean. Irwindale dragstrip on a wednesday night.

The OLD irwindale. I used to sneek in after work around 9:15. The gate crew had called it a night.
My favorite car there was a Hillman wagon converted to a sedan delivery, with a L88. What a rocket ship! I had an Opel Rekord wagon, I was gonna do something similar. Never happened.

Last edited:
Black definitely. I don't remember wings or flames. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Remember Clinton Clans' 440 powered Anglia.? I still see a Thames panel of theirs at some shows, with a BIG blown wedge in it.

Yeah, I remember that car. Green if I remember. Ever see a t bucket with a max wedge motor? Use to lift and twist off the line every time!

Had one locally, back in the 70's. Sat super-low, with the driveline raised for the stance. It had a cross-ram and a tunnel-ram at different times.

Nostalgia class I run is period looking 1966 and older. Supertricks came out in 1970 so you can’t run them.

I went with Bogart Steelie Dans. Glued not screwed.

68425685778__F17438C4-A09C-4B17-BD6F-DF25287086FB.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_3280.jpeg

Centerline is out of business now.
I don't think so, still up & running, I remember seeing that too
they were maybe bought out by someone else back 2017
ceased operations, I don't remember the exact circumstances, to be honest
it may have been chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy, reorganization
court stuff, seems vaguely in my memory banks

but they are still in Sante Fe Ca. too
now under license & being produced from Center Line "Alloy" Wheels,

& Center Line Wheels began in 1970 (not the 80s), but yes by Ray Lipper

Last edited:
Budnicks, I think you are mistaken. Centerline Tool Co. went belly up in the mid-late teens. They aren't in Santa Fe Springs anymore. (You could see their business, and big sign, from the freeway, on the way to Disneyland, lol)
The "new" Centerlines are made in China, and Australia. (Some AMERICAN Racing wheels are made in China too, I have some.)
The sites you posted are old ones from Centerline Tool...... before they closed the doors.

Budnicks, I think you are mistaken. Centerline Tool Co. went belly up in the mid-late teens. They aren't in Santa Fe Springs anymore. (You could see their business, and big sign, from the freeway, on the way to Disneyland, lol)
The "new" Centerlines are made in China, and Australia. (Some AMERICAN Racing wheels are made in China too, I have some.)
The sites you posted are old ones from Centerline Tool...... before they closed the doors.

summit had Chinese centerlines for a few yrs. now....

Auto Transport Service
Back