• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bolts bolts and more bolts

cinciaz

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Hopefully this is in the right place for this thread. 1971 charger 383 mag. Sooooooo I have looked and looked for a manual that will give all the bolt sizes and where they go. Can anybody tell me what size are the 4 water pump bolts. I have a service manual (CD) but that was no help.

I know there is an expensive book out there that gives every detail about every bolt used on these cars but I do not know the title. My car would never get done if I bought it!!!

In the torque specs in the factory service manual (paper edition) they call for 3/8 -16 for water pump to the housing. They don't give length so you can figure that out. Also housing to block is a 3/8-16 bolt although longer.

i think that the w/p bolts are a specialty bolt. the reason i say that is, if i remember correctly, they have a drill hole that has nylon in it. they don't use a lock washer as they would rub the pulley.

Found a cool thread , no pun - Someone did some hard work on A Bodies forum

Says bolt head not included in length

5C03DD4A-272D-47EA-B570-D024B4742B07.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh my gosh you guys are great my first ever post on here and I got an answer within an hour I’ll check out that book but it only goes up to 1970 does that really make a difference. Again thanks for everybody chiming in if this always happens when you post a question I’ll be done with the car in two years instead of six lol

The E body book might be closer to 71-74 B body. Engine hardware should be mostly the same though. Here's a link to all their books.

Products | MMC Detroit

Last edited:
Thanks for the link... Man those books are expensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back