• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bore size of these two blocks

Rolling Thunder

Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
These two block castings:

2468030 and 2205697

They show for either a 413 or 426 wedge. Does this mean they have the wall thickness already built in for up to a 426 depending on application? This is what I read into it and if so I wonder how much of an overbore over 426 they can take.

I am seriously hoping someone on this website has some experience in engine building and has worked with either casting to let me know. Seems like posting this kind of question on some other sites gets people bickering and the question goes unanswered. HELP

according to mopar b/rb engine book; 413-4.18 bore,426-4.25 bore. hope this helps.no experience with either, but looks to me like .070 diff.

Thanks. I guess what I am asking though are the wall thicknesses of these casting numbers really that thick to support the 4.25 bore and future overbores versus the 413's smaller bore.

According to the casting numbers they were for either displacement. I would like to find someone with personal experience building one and what they found.

I have a 64 engine with the 2205697 casting that on the pad it says V41 HP but has a 2 overstamped on the pad right on top of the 1. I have not pulled it apart to check bore but it is an original engine that looks to have never been apart or at least in a great while. That engine also has the AAQA cast into it and I wonder if it is a 426 street wedge.

maybe that was why 413s were so popular in bread and delivery trucks. the 413s would have a hell of a cylinder wall and take a lot of rebuilds.

I would have the block sonic checked and make sure there wasn't a core shift issue that could cause problems. Before Boring.

with a good thermal or blast cleaning it should not cost more than $100-$125. That would be with a complete cleaning job in NY. If the blocks are clean i would expect to pay around 50 bucks each.

I believe I have the 2205697 block and it's at 4.25" now. It has a cast date of 1962 or 63 and I was told it was a 413 that was bored out. Another identical numbered block was in a friends 63 Dodge and it started out as a 413 and was bored out to 4.25" by the engine builder. I ran my block hard and never any issues and will run it again in my 69 RR as a six pack engine. The AAQA cast into the front left seems to be common on the early blocks. Not sure what it means but only the early blocks have it - and I've seen a lot of them over the years.

My block came to me in the form of a Max Wedge and it has what appears to be factory cut bore notches, but the casting number says it's not a max. I'm thinking either a very professional bore notch job or a factory replacement MW block. I'm thinking the latter because there is nothing stamped on the pad.

I would say you will be safe boring to 426 but a sonic check would be the ultimate answer.

Auto Transport Service
Back