Yesterday, I got the column situated using a bottle jack (that I had to buy specifically for this problem) and a two by four piece of wood that I cut to proper length. The jack and board supported the column under the shift tube so I could bolt it down to the firewall at an acceptable position. So it is now installed without any rubbing. I'll post some photos later when I have more time. Got the column shift linkage reconnected. Torqued the gearbox mounting bolts down to 100 ft lbs. Cleaned both torsion bars best I could, greased the ends and reinstalled them with retainer clips. The new pump and pulley are installed on the engine too, did that last weekend.