• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson steering box install onto QA1 K member

Mr. Belvedere II

Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone had steering shaft to box spline alignment issues when installing Borgeson steering box on QA1 K member? My steering shaft appears to be out of alignment to the spline. is this normal? is the steering shaft adjustable someway? I don’t want to shim the steering box according to Borgeson. I will be using a Bergman coupler not a universal. The shaft appears to terminate higher up than the box spline in the side pic and be off at an angle on the top down pic. How does one overcome for the difference? I saw an article about this install and the pic (orange chassis with gear shown below) showed quite a misaligned shaft and spline but not the finished product, wondering what they did to solve it in thier case…

AD574F37-97E2-4C49-8587-B19D0F585852.jpeg

39E3B7F7-6536-4186-9CC4-C9F04AD34F2D.jpeg

0D7075F2-ED6B-4D97-B54E-26FFC219E032.jpeg

Last edited:
On my car (orig K member) the borg steering box is a little offset similar to yours. I believe it is the norm and does not seem to be a problem.

4147DBDD-F8CB-40C3-A777-981EC274A242.jpeg

On my car (orig K member) the borg steering box is a little offset similar to yours. I believe it is the norm and does not seem to be a problem.

View attachment 1308691

View attachment 1308691
Yes it appears to be about the same angle from above. I guess I’ll have to see what happens when I get the coupler onto the shaft. My main concern is how far off I am looking from the side. there just looks like ALOT of height difference to overcome

Last edited:
You will have to loosen (possibly remove) the 2 bolts on the column floor collar (and maybe the 4 floor column bolts) for install and adjustment, then tighten after everything is assembled approximately where you want it.

mine also has a very minor offset with the borgeson connector, 2 years in and no problems,

IMG_6628.jpg

Is the steering shaft centered up in the column outer tube?

Never updated my progress with the install of the steering gear! So the advice given in regard to loosening the steering column was spot on. I took the column out and tuned it up a bit and then just put it back in and made it meet up with the steering gear spline while loose and then just tightened ot down after ot had mated to the gear. Was easy breezy. There is an angle to the connection but the stock coupling is basically a type of u joint and can accommodate the angle. So thanks all for the input! Also to the fella who posted with Doug’s headers I’ve recently picked up a pair of D453s and I look forward to all that clearance!! Thanks!!

Auto Transport Service
Back