• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgson steering box question

The Borgeson joint has no plunge available which means it does not allow for unibody flex. Unlike the stock or modded coupler.

So quick update, I returned the borgson u join and got a hold of Bergman auto. He put together a kit for me and it's on its way no fuss no muss and no cutting

Heck yeah, man!
I am all about saving money when I can but often times, I end up struggling trying to make size 8 shoes fit my size 11 feet.
Peter Bergman was a pioneer with these kits, making the setup so much easier to do while retaining the factory coupler's best feature...the ability to absorb road vibrations without transmitting them to the inside of the car.
You will really enjoy the steering feel of the Borgeson unit. It is a little heavier feel/effort than the stock unit but the slop is gone. None of that free-play in the center of travel like most stock Mopar units had.
THIS does depend on the integrity of the rest of your front end. If you have worn tie rod ends, idler or pitman arms, the steering may still show some play. I had my engine/trans/K member out last year for an engine rebuild and I went through my steering components to fix what was worn, even though there was only 20,000 miles or less since the rebuild. Oddly, I had 2 bad tie rod ends! I ended up replacing all four. The ball joints were fine as were the control arm bushings. At this point, the car steers as well as almost any late model car that I have driven. You will not regret the decision to get this kit.

Heck yeah, man!
I am all about saving money when I can but often times, I end up struggling trying to make size 8 shoes fit my size 11 feet.
Peter Bergman was a pioneer with these kits, making the setup so much easier to do while retaining the factory coupler's best feature...the ability to absorb road vibrations without transmitting them to the inside of the car.
You will really enjoy the steering feel of the Borgeson unit. It is a little heavier feel/effort than the stock unit but the slop is gone. None of that free-play in the center of travel like most stock Mopar units had.
THIS does depend on the integrity of the rest of your front end. If you have worn tie rod ends, idler or pitman arms, the steering may still show some play. I had my engine/trans/K member out last year for an engine rebuild and I went through my steering components to fix what was worn, even though there was only 20,000 miles or less since the rebuild. Oddly, I had 2 bad tie rod ends! I ended up replacing all four. The ball joints were fine as were the control arm bushings. At this point, the car steers as well as almost any late model car that I have driven. You will not regret the decision to get this kit.
Ya I'm replacing the ball joints pitman arm etc, eventually my over all goal is to do a full suspension swap. From leaf springs, to a full coil overs/4 wheel disc swap and 727 tranny swap. But that's further down the line. I'm also considering a modern hemi swap and or building a 340 for it and going EFI from like Holley or something

Coil overs?

1 FPP.JPG

Come on, man...now you're stepping backwards. Even EFI is not always an improvement since many of the aftermarket systems are not backed by OEM levels of research and development. I've seen NUMEROUS instances of guys pulling the FITech, Sniper and Megasquirt systems off and going back to carburetors because of the fatal flaws that their systems had that required parts the supplier no longer made. Using a Mopar factory EFI system on a 3G hemi is the closest thing to making sense simply because there were millions of them built with reliability at the tops of their goals when designing them.
Coil over suspensions have not proven to make these cars handle any better than a properly set up torsion bar suspension. Guys brag about header clearance...sure, if your car breaks down so often you need to pull the engine out a LOT, this makes a LOT of sense.
I suggest that you try to avoid being tempted by what "cool new thing" is being advertised for these cars. Their basic engineering is excellent. With some improvements, these cars can ride and handle much better than when they were new while retaining the excellent durability and sturdiness.
This is an instance where this Borgeson steering box is so great. It simply improves on the basic concept. It isn't a rack and pinion conversion, it is simply a better, updated version of the original idea.

Last edited:
There’s nothing like proper efi. That doesn’t mean electric carburetor… if you have 3” of vacuum you’re also asking for trouble. Everything has its place. When efi is done right, you’d NEVER go back to a carburetor.

PeterBergman set me up with the new conversion steering box set up. Very strait forward and works awesome. Loves the extra room around the header. It does seem to run a bit warmer than the other pump but doesn’t seem to be an issue. With that set up, new Bilsteins, sway bars, I’m driving a new car..

With his noted success of curing the sloppy Mopar steering, maybe Peter ought to look into solutions for other problems we face. Obesity, halitosis, impotence and male pattern baldness! Peter to the rescue!

1 hmmmm.jpeg

Ya I'm replacing the ball joints pitman arm etc, eventually my over all goal is to do a full suspension swap. From leaf springs, to a full coil overs/4 wheel disc swap and 727 tranny swap. But that's further down the line. I'm also considering a modern hemi swap and or building a 340 for it and going EFI from like Holley or something
The problem with coil over suspension on mopar unibody cars is that it transfers the majority of the front end load onto the front frame rails. This is fine for a full frame car like GM had, but is not so good for the unibody type cars. The torsion bar setup essentially transfers the front end load to the entire body of the car. It’s a pretty genius design actually.

I think regardless of the parts you choose, ask yourself what you are trying to achieve? Advertising has gotten many people to buy products regardless of knowing what they do or why. Education takes a little effort which most people aren't willing to expend.

Damn, I thought you had something to offer for the baldness.. lol. But still good advice.

Nobody here is willing to admit that they need help with impotence, obesity or halitosis?

1 laugh 2.jpg

Did you ever just consider buying a Chevelle and be done with it? :poke:

Ha, I did the Chevelle thing. Had to have something to drive when I’m working on the dodge!! Lol…

84319F58-DED4-476E-A221-30D3A426E2C7.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back