• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgson steering box question

ed-shot500

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
So, my steering is shot, so I went ahead and ordered the borgson steering box and u joint as everything just came today. However it says I have to cut the steering shaft in order to make the coupler fit. And for the life of my I can't find ANYTHING regarding how On this fourm or YouTube/ Facebook/Google ? Anyone point me to a thread or Link on how and where to cut the shaft at ?

First off, the name is Borgeson.
Secondly, if you had ordered the kit from Peter Bergman, (Bergman Auto Craft, a sponsor of this site) you would have received the hybrid coupler that requires NO cutting of your steering shaft. His kit is entirely a bolt in deal. His kit also includes adapter fittings for the hoses. It is met with excellent service if you run into questions or trouble with the installation or operation.
The reason that you might be having trouble finding info is that you may have bought a generic kit for less money. Well, the reason it is cheaper is because it isn't complete. Cutting the steering shaft is a permanent move that some don't want to commit to. Yeah, the U-joint does work but you lose the slip/slide of the factory coupler which absorbs road vibrations better and transmits fewer rattles.
Your choice now? Either contact Peter Bergman for the hybrid coupler or forge ahead with the U-joint setup. Someone, somewhere has written about it or posted a video of it. I recall a guy at DodgeCharger.com did awhile back.
I went with the complete kit from Peter Bergman and do not regret it. Whatever difference in costs gets forgotten faster than the hassle of modifying stuff to work.

Last edited:
I agree with Kern Dog. I also got my kit from Bergman. Since you already have the box, you can order the coupler from Bergman.
Screenshot_20230713_190049_Samsung Internet.jpg

I went with the hybrid coupler kit also from Bergman also. Installation tip; your steering column is the collapsable type, least my 73 is, and it will need to be loosened up. Mine was frozen/rusted in place and when I finally got it moveable , installation was a breeze.

If you haven't found out yet already, the box you got will most likely not have the correct fittings you'll need to hook it to your pump. Another thing BAC rocks at. Correct coupler and fittings.

If you haven't found out yet already, the box you got will most likely not have the correct fittings you'll need to hook it to your pump. Another thing BAC rocks at. Correct coupler and fittings.
Well I have not found that out yet lol. What fittings am I looking for ?

They convert the Borgeson box metric threads to "standard" that classic American cars used.

Hopefully you have a Saginaw pump. Others are often inadequate for pressure and flow. Some Saginaws were fitted with metric threads. The 1" hex pressure fitting can be swapped from pump to pump to get the right metric/standard fittings.
Really, the easiest setup for you would be to send the kit back for a refund and buy the kit from BAC. Seriously. If you have a lot of experience doing semi-custom stuff, going the cheap route by piecing stuff together often works. When you're doing something new for the first time, it is wise to follow the easiest methods already figured out by others.
You can do this but it takes more work on your end. You'd need to find a hydraulic shop...maybe one that makes hoses and lines for tractors or other heavy equipment. Take the steering box and stock power steering hoses to them to assess thread size and ask for an adapter to connect the two.
Again, it can be done on the cheap but what is your time worth? How about the frustration? I did the swap and did a couple other things at the same time. With the Bergman kit, this can be done in one day easily. With an incomplete kit from Summit racing, you're cutting the steering column....making the column essentially useless for any other steering box that you may one day want to try. You need to find the hydraulic fittings and you get more vibrations through the steering wheel.
Was the cost savings worth all of that?

Last edited:
Kern Dog is correct. I also bought my kit from Bergman, and he not only sells you everything you need, he ports the Borgeson box for better flow. BTW, once you've got it installed, you'll LOVE it.

Hopefully you have a Saginaw pump. Others are often inadequate for pressure and flow. Some Saginaws were fitted with metric threads. The 1" hex pressure fitting can be swapped from pump to pump to get the right metric/standard fittings.
Really, the easiest setup for you would be to send the kit back for a refund and buy the kit from BAC. Seriously. If you have a lot of experience doing semi-custom stuff, going the cheap route by piecing stuff together often works. When you're doing something new for the first time, it is wise to follow the easiest methods already figured out by others.
You can do this but it takes more work on your end. You'd need to find a hydraulic shop...maybe one that makes hoses and lines for tractors or other heavy equipment. Take the steering box and stock power steering hoses to them to assess thread size and ask for an adapter to connect the two.
Again, it can be done on the cheap but what is your time worth? How about the frustration? I did the swap and did a couple other things at the same time. With the Bergman kit, this can be done in one day easily. With an incomplete kit from Summit racing, you're cutting the steering column....making the column essentially useless for any other steering box that you may one day want to try. You need to find the hydraulic fittings and you get more vibrations through the steering wheel.
Was the cost savings worth all of that?
Ya so I kinda pieced this together from ebay. Since I got the box for like $440 on there(brand new dude just bought the wrong one) So it's not really a matter of returning the kit it's more or less that I'm up sh**s creek w o a paddle and the boat has a big a** hole in it. I can return the coupler though. Since I got it from summit also as it stands I'm balling on a budget as I just got laid off recently and since Florida unemployment is an absolute joke. I'm currently only relying on my wife's income till I can find a new job.

Last edited:
I forgot you had a 73 you more than likely need this coupler instead
Screenshot_20230714_125347_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have a 71 so I used the coupler I first poated a picture of. No clearance issues with that coupler and my TTI headers. The fitting adaptors for the hoses you should be able to buy at a local hydraulic hose shop. Take them your new box and your hoses and they be able to sell you the adptors. Or call Peter at Bergman and ask him if he sells the fittings if you decide to buy the no cut coupler. Remember whenever you decide to modify a vehicle there will be things to work through.

I forgot you had a 73 you more than likely need this coupler insteadView attachment 1494282
I have a 71 so I used the coupler I first poated a picture of. No clearance issues with that coupler and my TTI headers. The fitting adaptors for the hoses you should be able to buy at a local hydraulic hose shop. Take them your new box and your hoses and they be able to sell you the adptors. Or call Peter at Bergman and ask him if he sells the fittings if you decide to buy the no cut coupler. Remember whenever you decide to modify a vehicle there will be things to work through.
Ya I know I'm just getting super frustrated lol, anyway ya I'ma buy the coupler and return the other one. I was always Shakey on cutting the steering column. So if I can avoid it, I'm ok with that

Here's my vid when I installed the kit on my 68.
I really like the kit and it handles great.
Good luck!
Ryan

Auto Transport Service
Back