• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Distribution unit

fin170703

Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Having a pain in the *** at the moment, with what I think Is a seized shuttle valve in my brake distribution/ proportioning unit (no rear feed to brakes at all)

It's a 73 roadrunner (disc front, drums rear), and I'm wondering if there is someone who could point me in the right direction, for a new unit.
I can only seem to find separate units but mine is all 1 piece

Having a pain in the *** at the moment, with what I think Is a seized shuttle valve in my brake distribution/ proportioning unit (no rear feed to brakes at all)

It's a 73 roadrunner (disc front, drums rear), and I'm wondering if there is someone who could point me in the right direction, for a new unit.
I can only seem to find separate units but mine is all 1 piece

The best way that I would approach this situation is to connect two clear bleader hoses to the rear bleeder plugs when they are opened and see if any fluid drains via gravity. This may take a bit of time and don't let the master reservoir run dry. If the prop valve does prove to be the issue you might consider a manual valve which I believe will be less $ than an OE style. If you must have an OE style, Stainless Tube is the best place to source one. Theirs is totally serviceable.

I think you mentioned a key element in your description.

Most people, myself included call these proportioning valves.

I have become convinced over the last few years, that Mopar did their proportioning by varying the bore size in the wheel cylinders and caliper pistons.

If you subscribe to that theory, what we're talking about then, truly is a distribution valve.

It is also not a very far leap to assume that all of these "Texas" shaped valves could be identical.

Finally, these valves were still in use all the way into the 90's on trucks, and there are tons in u-pull yards.

I have a very good friend and much better mechanic than I who routinely uses later model truck valves in disk brake conversions, no matter the vehicle he's converting.

Likely less than $20-30 bucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back