• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake lines- kit or make your own?

Josephevers86

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting brake lines and I'm curious how many people make their own or buy the individual pieces compared to buying the full kit. Is there any advantage over one than the other?

I prefer to build my own plumbing (I was a state licensed plumber for 25 years) and enjoy creating/fabricating.
Mike
IMG_2508.JPG

Was not a licensed plumber but enjoy trying to make as much as i can.

I've done both, bought a complete set, and made my own using the nickel/copper line. Extremely easy to work with, bend by hand, didn't kink at all.

I've done both, bought a complete set, and made my own using the nickel/copper line. Extremely easy to work with, bend by hand, didn't kink at all.

I used that for custom fuel lines because I had to make the piece. If I could have used pre fab I would have, making flares was a b*tch.

I'm in the process of getting brake lines and I'm curious how many people make their own or buy the individual pieces compared to buying the full kit. Is there any advantage over one than the other?
If you like doing fab work and you have the right tools, brake lines are easy and you can route them yourself if you need to work around a new modification. I bought a flare kit, I believe it was from eastwood? (pricey but worth it) and that made all the difference in the world. Standard flare and bubble flares are easy and they come out perfect everytime. It even came with a set of flare dies for 3/8" fuel line. Just my 2 cents.

If you like doing fab work and you have the right tools, brake lines are easy and you can route them yourself if you need to work around a new modification. I bought a flare kit, I believe it was from eastwood? (pricey but worth it) and that made all the difference in the world. Standard flare and bubble flares are easy and they come out perfect everytime. It even came with a set of flare dies for 3/8" fuel line. Just my 2 cents.

How much did you pay for that flare tool?

For reasons of damage while being shipped 10,000 miles, I opted to make my own for the GTX. I used the originals as a pattern, and also had new protection springs made locally. Lost a bit of skin putting it all together, but you couldn't tell it was hand made when the car was finished. I used a local Brake Shop to flare the ends for me. :)

:xscuseless:

upload_2022-2-13_17-12-59.jpeg

upload_2022-2-13_17-13-14.jpeg

upload_2022-2-13_17-13-24.jpeg

How much did you pay for that flare tool?
If my memory is correct (I've had this tool for several years)... I think it was just over $200 PRICEY, but I've replaced the entire hyd brake sys on my boat trailer and then my coronet (with proportioning valve) and not a single problem with flares. You have to mount the tool in a bench vise to use it, but once you get it set up it takes less than a minute to make a double flare and their right on every time. Oh, I don't work for the company either, just love the way that tool works. Classic example of getting what you pay for! :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back