• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake noise only when turning

Huicho417

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
Got a new one for y’all.

I recently noticed my car has a grinding noise when turning to the right side only and applying brakes. No noise when pressing brakes while turning left or driving straight. If I release the brakes while turning to the right the noise goes away, then come back if I apply the brakes again. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Car is a 1967 coronet with four wheel power disk brake conversion from CPP. It had been driving fine all year until this week.

Other than checking the bearings as stated above, I would look for any witness marks on everything, since they are aftermarket brakes.

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I will look into all the possible solutions. What is a quick way to check the wheel
Bearing once I jack up the car? Also it’s it’s the wheel bearing, Would it be bother inner and outer?

Look at outter wheel bearing races and rollers for rolled in particles. The inner race under under roller starts to flake. As said earlier look for bent splash shield bent part.

Define grinding. Like scraping or a whirring noise ?
A quick check of bearings is grabbing the wheel itself top and bottom looking for any play in or out in the wheel. Push in top while pulling out bottom of wheel quickly back and forth to see if it feels loose.
The nut could be loose or I have seen where they forgot to put in a cotter pin and the nut backed off.
As far a bearings go you have to hand spin them to see if they feel rough when turning.

Got a new one for y’all.

I recently noticed my car has a grinding noise when turning to the right side only and applying brakes. No noise when pressing brakes while turning left or driving straight. If I release the brakes while turning to the right the noise goes away, then come back if I apply the brakes again. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Car is a 1967 coronet with four wheel power disk brake conversion from CPP. It had been driving fine all year until this week.
Just jack up the front end. If the wheel wobbles like a weeble, wheel bearing.

Well, I jacked up the car and both wheels have some slight wobble to them. These bearings came with the CPP front disk brake kit I purchased. What could have caused them to go bad in less than two years? I will for sure replace them. Any recommendations on a good set of inner and outers? Thanks again

Well, I jacked up the car and both wheels have some slight wobble to them. These bearings came with the CPP front disk brake kit I purchased. What could have caused them to go bad in less than two years? I will for sure replace them. Any recommendations on a good set of inner and outers? Thanks again
Tapered roller bearings should be slightly loose as compared to tight. You have to disassemble and physically inspect each bearing to determine if anything is wrong with them. Otherwise CPP does use China bearings.
I doubt your issue is with bearings, because bad bearing noise would not go away when you release the brake pedal. you really need to inspect rotor, calipers, pads CLOSELY for any unusual signs of contact or other abnormalities, especially calipers/rotors

Just adjust the wheel bearings, if they were greased they are fine. It’s normal to have to adjust with usage.

Auto Transport Service
Back