• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Sound can't figure it out?

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
Hey I need little help to figure out Braking Problem. Last nite I went to local cruise. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid a biker who cut me off. I heard a spring ee sound. Normal braking is fine. I check everything & it seem to be ok. I do a few test stopping & still hear that sound? :icon_question::confused::confused:

When you say you checked everything...did you hear the sound with the wheels off and up on stands or only when the car is moving? Drums all the way around or disc's too? Did you have someone pressing the pedal while you were checking out the assembly? Too hard to say and not enough information. If you can't hear it with the wheel off but the drums on when smashing the peddle you might want to consider looking at your wheel bearings, but that is a wild guess until you provide more information about how you checked it. Could be shocks,screwy torsion bars or even control arm bushings if only under hard stops. Try bouncing the front end pretty good and see if you can replicate it. Just hard to say really.

Here's more information. Front end completely new. brakes, balljoints etc.less than a year old. I jacked up vehicle checking front & rear with someone pressing brake pedal. Sounds fine. I placed vehicle in gear to check rear brakes depressing brake pedal numerous times, brakes sounds fine. It's kind of a weird springy sound, like your open a door & need the spring to return door back into place. It only happen at speeds of 30 or more while hard braking. it's heard at front of vehicle.

Try rocking the front end up and down as high as you can and see if you hear it. You mentioned ball joint were replaced were your control arm bushing replaced and are you sure the bolts are tight? I could see control arms making a wierd noise like you describe. But again, just kinda grasping at straws.

Check your LCA's and strut rods. Did you use poly or rubber in the front end rebuild.
FWIW, my money's on the LCA. Make sure that nut is torqued and the bushing isn't moving around.

Agreed with all above. The sound may not be a brake sound, but a suspension sound. With a panic stop, you may have compressed the suspension on an older car that is not used to that kind of travel, and broken something.

Auto Transport Service
Back