• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Testing at DMV on a Brake Machine

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with a Hunter B - 400T Plate Brake Testing Machine? Delaware DMV uses this to test braking? My '68 Super Bee failed and I want to confirm what I need to do.

See the attached picture. On Left/right Front, the bottom arrow failed (right front I assume?) Does that mean it's too much brake pressure? Looking at the graph, the left states 1420 lbs and the right 1209 lbs. Not sure how to interpret that.

Same for the Left/right rear. Right rear not enough braking pressure?

I guess the first question is: is the top arrow right or left side of the car?? The guy in the lanes had no idea how to explain it to me.

This car is 4 wheel drums, no power. DMV is a 30 minute drive each time and I want to set the brakes properly before I go and fail the test again.

TIA for your help!!!
Bob

IMG_5713 1.JPG

Why does it say the vehicle weighs 8384 Pounds?

I remember that crap at jersey state inspection. total crap I dont think any car ever passed the skid test. Hunter makes money making equipment

I haven't seen one of those testers since 1980! Always parked my car when they brought the mobile safety "clinic" to town.

I haven't seen one of those testers since 1980! Always parked my car when they brought the mobile safety "clinic" to town.
I went through falstaff Ave. dmv yard in my 69 runner with bad master, hit the line lock button pump the pedal twice before stomping it and they said the cars perfect,bye,bye! wtf?

I'd call hunter and try tech dept. maybe you can send them email of your results for an explanation! I understand the machine uses weight tranfer to establish brake %, suspension changes could alter results for/aft. but not side to side!

I'd call hunter and try tech dept. maybe you can send them email of your results for an explanation! I understand the machine uses weight tranfer to establish brake %, suspension changes could alter results for/aft. but not side to side!
Good idea…I’ll see if I can reach them tomorrow.

I remember that inspection for my 58 Fury when I was stationed at Dover AFB. That was back in 64 when I registered my car first time in De. from NY. Fortunately my car passed.

My 69 runner has manual adjustment on its 4 wheel drums. If yours does too, I would (temporarily) adjust a bit more drag in the problem wheel (or all four).
If you got disc/drum, sorry, I got nuttin.

This is likely the fail. Your gonna need bigger brakes!
likely the total lbs. force applied to the pad! I think it's the brake balance they have issue with! maybe take your results back to them and get some explanation,just because one guy can't decipher it doesn't mean none of them can!
I was pulled over in a spot check and after looking at the mods to the car they sent me to falstaff for an inspection!They looked the car all over and under sent me to the brake test area andoldpics018.JPG at that time looked like a large scale with 4 sections you drove onto at 20mph and hit the brakes,anyway they let me drive away with the plates still on it! Had I been working there I would have folded the plates wallet size and handed me a bus ticket which was then a dime!

Anyone familiar with a Hunter B - 400T Plate Brake Testing Machine? Delaware DMV uses this to test braking? My '68 Super Bee failed and I want to confirm what I need to do.
The guy in the lanes had no idea how to explain it to me.
Bob

The only people that can answer this are fellow DE. folks that have gone through this or the DMV! And I wouldn't be asking the numbnut that works the lane to answer the question, you need to be talkin to someone at DMV about what all this means! You won't get the honest answer here! Good Luck

"ASSuming" the down arrows are the "targets", kind'a looks to me the front axle is braking biased to the right of center.
The rear is axle braking biased to the left of center.
The vertical bars maybe the pass/fail limits?

"ASSuming" the down arrows are the "targets", kind'a looks to me the front axle is braking biased to the right of center.
The rear is axle braking biased to the left of center.
The vertical bars maybe the pass/fail limits?
My understanding is that the two interior vertical bars are the low/high end of “good”.
going to dmv tomorrow to talk with someone…

So, is that 20mph the current test also? I would go down to my Fairgrounds parking lot and see what it does with a panic stop. See if they are all locking up. Then compare how the tire marks correlate to the DMV results.
A small adjustment, air at a cylinder, or glazing can sometimes have a large effect.

WTF-****-Memes-Wtf-is-this-****.jpg
Man, the overbearing governments some of y'all put up with just boggles my mind... :realcrazy:

Auto Transport Service
Back