• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brand of primer

roadrunnerman

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
talking with one body supply place for a price quote on primer and he mentioned the brand they use was called "auto master".Another place i called i believe uses sherwin-williams.has anyone ever used or heard of the auto master primer?It's going on my 4x4 b4 the color goes on. the AM brand was about $30 cheaper/gal and is a polyurethene 2 stage.

I use PPG shop line JP202 it is less than $100.00 a gallon with all the hardner and reducer.It works well,sprays easy,and sand very nice.

sounds like it is used more in commercial fleets then the auto industry so i guess i will pay the xtra and go with the more well known brand(s).Thanks for looking up the website.

I've used it, never had a problem with it.

Around here the autobody master stuff is sold through auto value parts store chains.

I'm not sure what you have going on, if it's a project you are doing yourself or??

But also google the kirker automotive line, places like smartshoppersinc.com are going to carry it and it's another brand that's worked very well for me and saved me a ton of money on projects.

You can get into the kirker enduro-prime (their epoxy) with catalyst (2 gallons sprayable mixed 1:1) all for under a hundred bucks.

I've not had any problems with the kirker stuff and the price allows room in my budget for extra steps like a polyester primer to really help you get the body straight before the color goes on.

thanks dave-i'm thinking about just using this on the ramcharger,it's a low budget build anyway and i don't need to put alot of $$$$$$ into it. When i get home for my vacation in a couple weeks i'll go over to the store and ask them about it in more detail.

Well, if you are treating it to any brand of 2K epoxy as part of the paint job then it's well beyond a lot of folks idea of a "budget paint job" already. :grin:

I have used the automaster as well at my local shop and it was OK. Similiar to the Nason brand, slightly lower grade but very cost effective for budget builds.

I also recommend Kirker for a low-cost paint deal. I'll be doing my work truck with their setup this year.

Randy

Last edited:
I use that brand all the time, works as good as the high dollar stuff. Why spend double to get someones name on the can. Save the money for good paint.

I picked up a couple of cans of "Rust Curb" somewhere, and just now got around to using them. Surprisingly, they are in a very high quality can, and the primer was great. Even application, and scratch filler properties. Now I don't remember where they came from and can't find it anywhere. IIRC, it was not expensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back