• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breakaway steering column supports

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
From the assembly manual I am trying to understand how these plastic breakaway supports offer any safety. Can someone please explain? I can’t visualize the break and subsequent benefit in the FSM drawing. I know I am missing something.

Is the column supposed to just drop in a collision?

image.jpg

The column is designed to collapse, the plastic inserts breakaway allowing the upper column to slide toward the front, the outer tube has a section of expanded & corrugated metal, the inner shaft has a sliding joint, that joint allows the steering column to collapse in both directions, the steering box can get shoved toward the rear and at the same time the steering wheel can moved away from the driver

The column is designed to collapse, the plastic inserts breakaway allowing the upper column to slide toward the front, the outer tube has a section of expanded & corrugated metal, the inner shaft has a sliding joint, that joint allows the steering column to collapse in both directions, the steering box can get shoved toward the rear and at the same time the steering wheel can moved away from the driver
Ah that explains the “mesh” tube! Thanks.

On the last sentence, the steering box may be shoved towards the rear, but mostly the driver ends up shoving the steering wheel into the firewall.

On the last sentence, the steering box may be shoved towards the rear, but mostly the driver ends up shoving the steering wheel into the firewall.
Agreed, mostly the steering wheel moves but I've seen a few cars the the box definitely moved toward the driver...

Does anyone sell just these? I’ve never seen these anywhere. I need 3 of course.

IMG_0157.jpeg

Moparfiend, 521 Restorations has those washers.
I just bought 3 of them for my Runner.
View attachment 1557466
Ah thanks! I actually was in contact with them as they were the ones who I just ordered the plastic supports from! Nice folks he had taken the washers off as he had only one set left! So he re listed them and thats the set! I just ordered them! This is a good vender guys!

Last edited:
521 saves the day...gain.

I save all that oddball stuff from any car I part out.

That said, the plastic can get brittle.

Auto Transport Service
Back