• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breaks are overheating 91/4 rearend

dodge1972

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
All new rear end bearing in my 9 1/4 b body rearend. . Rear Breaks are overheating. Readjusted several times, new pads. Pad don't look or match the factory photo. Rechecked with NAPA for a different set, Pads are the same as installed.

If I drive it 10-15 miles I can smell the break pads and the rims are very hot. Need adivise

are the adjusters in backwards, just a thought.

Sounds like the brakes are not retracting or not retracting completely.

Did you bed the brakes?

IME new brake jobs will smell for a little while. I get it that the drums are hot which makes sense as they are contacting the shoes. They are pretty simple so its probably something simple like the shoes hanging up.

When was the flexible brake line from body to axle changed? These can sometimes deteriorate internally and create a check valve like situation where the fluid will push through but be very very slow to return.

Don't overlook the emergency brake cables. The last two rear brake installs I did needed the cables lubed to fully release. Even a little pressure on the rear shoes can cause them to drag and heat up. Penetrating oil and a little time is all it took to get them working perfect again.

All new rear end bearing in my 9 1/4 b body rearend. . Rear Breaks are overheating. Readjusted several times, new pads. Pad don't look or match the factory photo. Rechecked with NAPA for a different set, Pads are the same as installed.

If I drive it 10-15 miles I can smell the break pads and the rims are very hot. Need adivise
Pull the drums and post a picture of each side.

Replaced E brake cables, but the length was longer than stock. adjusted cable to foot break unit. Also replaced break slave cylinder units/ new shoes and drums Break may be sticking. Plan to check one of my Cordoba's in storage for a comparison. I was thinking maybe outer bearing were bad. So I had new MOPAR 3.55 Gears and bearing installed today. Factory sure-grip checked good. Work performed by a rear end shop in business for 20 years.

Maybe the outter bearing housing is worn.

Thanks for everyone's response, if I figure it out, I will post the solution. I'm unable to drive it the way it is. Parked it one year ago when I discovered the break issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back