• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet left rear wheel/drum gets VERY hot after brake job.

finz68

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
After having my 1965 Coronet converted to a dual reservoir manual master cylinder and the brake pads replaced and the drums cut, my left rear wheel/drum gets extremely hot after a 30 minute ride. Can't even touch the drum! No squeals, no smoke, it's just that I noticed a slight smell which is why I checked each wheel. After it sat overnight, the drum came off with ease and everything looks fine. It has a single peg rear and 48k miles. The mechanic refuses to take the car back to check it out. He said, "Stop touching the rims and if the brakes are working stop worrying!" Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Your mechanic isn’t very good, it won’t last long getting that hot.

sloppy axle bearings
parking brake not returning all the way
assembled wrong

get a new mechanic. He shouldn't be working on cars if he thinks it's hot for brakes to get hot.

Loosen the adjuster on that side a few clicks and go for a test ride. And find another mechanic, that one sucks...

If the drum comes off easily, it does not sound like the the shoes are adjusted too tight.
Could be rust build up in THAT brake line. Holds the line pressure & stops the brake from releasing. Releases eventually.

Were the shoes arched to match the cut drums? Seriously

The old days the mechanic had a tool usualy with the drum lath. Now i do it this way. Take some say 220 PSA sandpaper put it on the cut area of the drum. adjust the shoes back a bit. (Car on stands) put it in drive and gently apply the brakes it will sand the shoes to the right arch. If non track lock put it in reverse to do the other side. Tires can be off just a few lugs to hold the drums on. Check it till the shoes are lightly sanded. Then of course take the PSA paper off and adjust the brakes normally. @mobileparts is a great source for oem parts if needed also.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back