• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken Studs how to remove hub?

I think I'd try an air chisel and some penetrant oil between the drum and what's left of the wheel, working my way around the outside.
upload_2021-2-1_10-52-17.png

I think I'd try an air chisel and some penetrant oil between the drum and what's left of the wheel, working my way around the outside.
View attachment 1062893

Not a bad choice... With the mess that the OP is working with some some form of BFSI is going to be needed.... (BFSI = Brute Force & Sheer Ignorance)

I'm thinking the rapid impacts may even help jar the drum loose from the axle flange.

If that brake drum is not coming off, you may have a serious 'lip' on the braking surface inside the drum. This will actually prevent you from pulling the drum off also. If there is no evidence of the lock washers as described by Jerry above, then you may have to slacken the parking brake cable right off.
If that doesn't work, and the lock washers are present, you might have to carefully drill the two studs out with the lock washers. I say two, as I have only ever seen two in place before....I might be wrong here, but I am sure not all studs have a locking washer.

The studs will press out of the axle once it is removed from the housing, so don't fret too much about damaging the studs any further....they need replacing anyway. :)
Get a metal cutting wheel on a 4" grinder and finish cutting that old wheel off there and out of the way. You can get some business done after that.

Hello again just wanted to say thank you for all the awesome advice from everyone. Got it off and it was a fun experience all around(sarcasm) and I’ll do it again. Here was the final outcome! Again thanks everybody for the help. I’ll be back for more advice.
Hello,
new to wrench turning on cars. Been a welder most of my Days. I was wondering if anyone could help me with replacing broken studs and removal of hub on my 68’ Charger.

View attachment 1062305

56D8C17A-5F18-4EA7-8A3F-83DEA77C5EED.jpeg 7C6E01DA-90AC-4491-8ECA-BCEBF3CAB7FB.jpeg

Looks like a really good time.... If you wanna step up your game maybe try toothpicks under your fingernails...

BTW what part of California?

Auto Transport Service
Back