• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build a seized 360 or buy and build a 440

Hemmit

Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
I am currently restoring a 73 charger hardtop. I want As much power I can get while still having good street manners. I currently have a 318 running, seized but disassembled 360 (unknown condition). I was thinking of buying a 440 sb and building close to 500 hp. I have been indecisive.
what are your thoughts, any help is appreciated.

2fa15bc25a0fe5259827fdade230232f-1.png

I always err to a big block, but there are some potent small blocks out there. Especially the strokers. Your call and your money.

The small block would be easier since it is a small block car to start with. Just grab a Hughes engines stroker kit and have at it. There a bit pricey. But it is also the offset balance between the big and small block. You have to want to do one of these.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...ciBLaXRz&level2=MzYwIHRvIDQyNg==&partid=23812

Sonic check your block for maximum over boring before you order up a kit. And to be honest, the thicker the cylinder wall the better.

These kits are now available with custom forged pistons with a flat top or dish piston. 4.030, .60,.80 or .100 oversize.

4.030" = 426 c.i.
4.040" = 429 c.i.
4.060" = 433 c.i.
4.080" = 437 c.i.
4.100" = 441 c.i

Dollar for dollar you will likely get more power out of a 440 but you have to take other things into account like the transmission, driveshaft, etc. You can build a really nice stout 408 stroker that will easily give you 450-475 hp and more than 500 ft lbs of tq on a decent budget and it will bolt right in to what you have. There is always the "cool" factor of having a big block in a Mopar but you can have a ton of fun ripping around in that 360. I built my 340 into a strong 416 stroker and I couldn't be happier with it. I probably have 450hp/525tq and no issues with overheating on a hot day and that is a lot of power for a fun street car / cruiser in my opinion.

You just have to ask yourself what you want and what you will be happy with. If your always going to question going to a BB and chasing more HP, then I would say just go with the 440 and don't look back. My thought is there is always going to be someone faster than me but I can still have my slice of fun too.

Did any of you notice he mentioned a 440 small block?

Edit: big power with good street manners.... stroke the 360 to 408, good heads and cam , and a 150hp nitrous setup. Easy 450 on motor, 600 when you want.

The small block would be a blast to drive until somebody blows your doors off. Modern cars with small engines and turbos are making some pretty impressive horsepower these days and getting roasted by a 4 banger Honda is downright embarrassing. Do yourself a favor and build what you really want the first time. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

In the past I would have said 440 all the way. These days, I'm intrigued by the stroker small blocks.

Another advantage is the reduced weight up front which should equate to better weight transfer for drag racing and less understeer? on corners.

Think "short block" was what the OP was referring to....
OP said sb. Maybe he should have spelled it out once so that we knew. I have to really think about some of the abbreviations I see and sometimes get them wrong. Maybe we will get some clarity when he reads the posts.

Another advantage is the reduced weight up front which should equate to better weight transfer for drag racing and less understeer? on corners.
The go petal changes understeer into oversteer real quick with a big block. :)

You have to decide how you plan on using your car, and how much you want to spend.

Got $$$ and want big huge power and bragging rights, go Big Block or modern hemi swap (Hellcat baby!).

Want to spend alot less and still have a super fun and comfortable cruizer? I say 360 or magnum swap, with beefed up A500/A512 overdrive.

I suggest checking this out:
http://www.magnumswap.com/

Sorry. I meant short block. I just figured if I got a 440 I don’t have to pump as much Perfomance into it to get the same power from the 360. I figured it would be more reliable. Thank for the advice/ thoughts.

What part of Canada you in? Parts already on hand are always cheaper but there is no replacement for displacement! lol

What's your mopar friend circle like? Are they small block or big block guys?

What part of Canada you in? Parts already on hand are always cheaper but there is no replacement for displacement! lol

What's your mopar friend circle like? Are they small block or big block guys?
Don’t have Mopar circle. I have a Chevy circle. Lol I’m alone. Lol.

I am a bb guy...The bb chargers didnt handle to bad by the 3rd generation. I like the power slide about 3/4 through...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back