• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building exhaust yourself

Done several with floor jacks when I was younger, but it is harder to get the welder positioned. They worked, but did not look pretty.
Had a friend with an exhaust shop (and trans shop) and used the shops lift and tube bender to make a few custom exhaust systems. It was fun, but make sure to have PPE. Molten steel really hurts when it lands on your skin.

I know about PPE all too well! Doing machine work for 30 years made plenty of burns too lol. When I hired on with a refinery, they allowed long sleeve shirts to be worn and I thought they were nuts for doing that but I quickly saw the benefits in that! Only problem with LSS was getting a cuff caught but you learned to roll them up a bit. Biggest thing was some moron doing something that he shouldn't have been doing got caught up in his work and damn near severed his arm. After that, no more long sleeved shirts lol.

Has anyone done it? Grabbed some exhaust tubing and elbows and fitted and welded up there own exhaust from headers back? For 2.25" dual exhaust from manifold back I'm looking at $1100+ taxes here. That's 3 different quotes. So now considering headers and fabbing my own. Just curious as to who else has done it.
when I put the 426 Hemi in my '62 Dart wagon I needed headers- local high quality header builder wanted $3000.00 ,I found new 2-1/4" diameter tube headers for a 440, bought them, cut the flange plates off -got hemi flange plates cut up the headers to usable lengths and bends- it took two days of work to make some very nice hemi headers in the'62, it can be done -not to hard but you have to want to do it. I thought for 2 days work, a few burns, cuts, bruises and choice words they were pretty nice.

Has anyone done it? Grabbed some exhaust tubing and elbows and fitted and welded up there own exhaust from headers back? For 2.25" dual exhaust from manifold back I'm looking at $1100+ taxes here. That's 3 different quotes. So now considering headers and fabbing my own. Just curious as to who else has done it.

Old thread but I have basically same car (70 Sat, 318, PS) & had the same "sticker shock" when it came to exhaust prices. Local shops would not make the Y pipe.

I did find a local shop with access to old pattern cards & we bent up a set of duals out of 2" SS at a super cheap price. Problem was they did not fit at all. Had to cut & weld, heat & bend, however I do have a lift. After more work than I thought I had in me (I'm old) I do have a dual system that works & sounds pretty cool.

However in hindsight, maybe, I should have bit the financial bullet & sprung for the after market single system @ $1200!

Mark. I just seen this thread and wondered what you did for headers.

While building something yourself is extremely satisfying, without the proper talent, experience, and equipment it can quickly get frustrating and expensive. For those of us without the ways and means to scratch build our own system, Pypes , MagnaFlow, and Flowmaster all make cost effective high performance alternatives. Flowmaster offers an H-pipe system, while MagnaFlow and Pypes are X-pipe. MagnaFlow offers manifold downtubes if you're not using headers, and Pypes offers OEM style tips. They also allow you to buy the system without mufflers so you can use the muffler of your choice.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/quick-search/mopar/b-body/pypes
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/quick-search/mopar/b-body/magnaflow
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/quick-search/mopar/b-body/flowmaster

I just posted the first kit that came up in a Google search but the summit kit would work as well. You might also check Pypes brand. They are very competitive in pricing and also offer stainless kits. You didn't specify what engine your running but being you are looking at 2.25 exhaust I will assume you are running a realitively low hp set up. If that's the case go with an h pipe instead of an x pipe. H pipe is better for low hp engines and helps maintain bottom end torque. X pipes are better for hp gains but can sacrifice low end torque.
I know this thread is old but I just wanted to point out that whenever I bought the 2.5 Pypes system for my A body that the fitment was terrible. Especially the Chevy tailpipes they sent with the kit. Just some fair warning.

Regarding building your own exhaust system: If you have time, a welding machine and decent access under the car you can do it yourself.
I did look into the option to build my own as well, but after going online, selecting all parts required to do the full header to bumper exhaust i ended up on a high price.
Similar price as buying a full system from TTI, ok mine would have been stainless steel, have had multiple flange joints for easy installation and some flex joints but anyway.
After spending all the $$ for the material and i still would have to fabricate it as well, don't think it is worth it.
If you do have access to a good/cheap source for materials, yes why not.

I don't know about prices at you guys side of the pond but here it is stupidly high priced, these shops really make some serious money on stuff like that.

I had Midas in my area bend tail pipes. They had bend spec's f0r 2" pipes, I had them use 2.25" pipe. Thought it was expensive $225 for both.

While I like building the system myself, it found a kit from Jets to be pretty darn good for the price. Summit racing has the same kits as well. No H or X pile included though. The kits come with or without mufflers. Coupled to hooker headers on a low compression 318.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/rumblefishs-duster-project.10508/page-4

Regarding building your own exhaust system: If you have time, a welding machine and decent access under the car you can do it yourself.
I did look into the option to build my own as well, but after going online, selecting all parts required to do the full header to bumper exhaust i ended up on a high price.
Similar price as buying a full system from TTI, ok mine would have been stainless steel, have had multiple flange joints for easy installation and some flex joints but anyway.
After spending all the $$ for the material and i still would have to fabricate it as well, don't think it is worth it.
If you do have access to a good/cheap source for materials, yes why not.

I don't know about prices at you guys side of the pond but here it is stupidly high priced, these shops really make some serious money on stuff like that.

Last edited:
Spent the last 2 days building the front half of my new 2.5 x pipe exhaust.

718841-b8403e521bfe789f606d4498988f8a40.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back