• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulb sockets?

popslavaz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to rebuild the internals of a bulb socket? Found the rebuild parts are available. You can get single or double contact internals.

C5377756-35BB-45CE-B459-2F88A7DE9D80.png

No but would be a simple task. Slide the old guts out and slide the new in. Splice in the new wire, done!

I think the “harder” part could be insert the bakelite tabs into the socket channels without break them

I've seen people bend the crimp away and pop the whole socket out of the housing
then expoxy glue in new sockets..

Yeap that’s the tipical fix but usually replacement sockets are without ground wire to the socket body. With plastic housings if socket is good replace the inners could be a good solution and save from the ground wire attachment deal. Won’t really matter on pot metal housings, althought using epoxy glue will isolate it.

I “PUSHED THE EASY BUTTON” and have a nice complete housing coming from Mark out west.

The passenger side rear tail lights on my '71 style bumper (used in a '72 SSP) are always dimmer than the driver's side. Never have been able to determine if it is actually a weaker/dimmer bulb problem or if the red lens is not as transparent on that side.

Dibbons - I wonder if its a ground issue.
Add a second ground wire to the passenger side assembly & see if it makes a difference.

You are spot on 71Beeper any extra grounds on any electrical system is a plus.I added a extra ground wire on my John Deere318 and the head lights are much brighter and no electrical issues.

That ground issue is exactly what I have been thinking about to try on the passenger side tail light. I hope it would be something so basic/simple, but I am not getting my hopes up. Anyhow, thanks for reminding me to try experimenting with the idea.

Those replacement pigtails work great, did it for years on semi’s; don’t forget tho your ground is still the socket metal itself.

I tried the pigtail replacement but still had grounding issues =dull or not at all lights.
ended up drilling the metal housings out then oversizing the holes, got a couple of twist in style lenses from scrap yard (late model Subaru) cut them up and bonded into original housings - did this from inside so that the bonded surface was against curve of inside, externally looks almost factory

Auto Transport Service
Back