• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulk head connector

RS Mopars

Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a bad female connector in the bulk head for the wire that is hot to the alternator I have it out my question is the original looks like brass but can u use the lighter modern day connector or should find a brass one

You really should do the bypass trick from Mad Electric. There's a reason that it got hot! Next time
you might not be so lucky! CrackedBack on this forum also makes the headlight relay kits.

You really should do the bypass trick from Mad Electric. There's a reason that it got hot! Next time
you might not be so lucky! CrackedBack on this forum also makes the headlight relay kits.
Do they bypass the connection part all together? I thought about that mine never got hot and burned the tab broke off and pushed threw the bulk head I found a new one that will work but it's not brass

I misunderstood. Sorry. You can find the Delphi Series 56 connectors on EBay that specify that they are made
of brass. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't guess, but the brass connectors are available.

Back in the day I was tired of the ammeter connector overheating. I drilled through the cavity and spliced a wire in. The connector is just to provide a convenient point to assemble on the line and disconnect for repairs. I bet your bulkhead is half melted along with the connectors corroded black. Not the correct way to repair or restore, but it works, is safer than short circuits, and is more fun than popping the hood to wiggle the harness to get the damn ol' Mopar started.

Last edited:
The bulk head connector is a fire hazard waiting to burn down a classic Mopar.
Re-wire it the Painless way.

1670297217428.png

@toolmanmike has it right!!! Bypass "ammeter" all together or run new heavy gauge wire THROUGH connector. My 71 went up in flames, did what toolmanmike did, ran it right to "ammeter", no further issue, this was in 1981-82.
. Replacing entire harness on my 1972 build, not risking electrical fire: have a Mopar voltmeter, oil press & temperature that will be mounted on side of dash, fuel gauge & speedo will be only original dash pieces that will operate.

Doesn’t need to go with painless wiring or any other either. EVEN LESS ABOUT MAD wiring mod Just read about firewall path, parallel wiring, bulkhead bypass ( which is NOT the ammeter bypass ), fleet alternator wiring Bypass… any of those keywords will take you to the solution.

Learn first, decide later.

As mentioned, the brass terminals can be replaced thought. The real packard/Delphi series used for our cars on those years is really 58 but they seems to be made by ”unobtanium” so, the 56 series serves quite good too.

Last edited:
To answer the question: no, new terminal does not need to be brass.

Auto Transport Service
Back