• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulkhead connectors orientation on schematic

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
Trying to trace out some wires and due to age discoloration and I am finding this more challenging than it should be.

What orientation are the connectors in the schematic? Is the top really the top and are the wires viewed from the inside of the connectors or dead on as you see them plugged in

Thanks
MF
IMG_1832.jpeg

Look at the bulkhead and the colors of the wires and compare them to the harness connector. They only plug into the bulkhead one way.

Look at the bulkhead and the colors of the wires and compare them to the harness connector. They only plug into the bulkhead one way.
Yes I got them plugged in correctly as they are polarized however I am trying to understand the schematic view of the connectors themselves. In the schematic are we looking at the connectors from the engine bay view or inside the connectors as if we pulled them off and were looking at the interior mating spade connectors?

I know its a confusing question to try and explain.

After looking at this for a while I believe the schematic view is from the INSIDE of the connector. It’s difficult as my wire colors are not good and some connections are not correct. But if anyone can confirm that would be helpful.
I am basing this off of some key wires such as my fusible link etc.

If you look at the connectors in the schematic you can see they have letters that match So what you are looking at is the plug in side of both. As if you had the connector in your hands and looking into the pins.

If you look at the connectors in the schematic you can see they have letters that match So what you are looking at is the plug in side of both. As if you had the connector in your hands and looking into the pins.
Thanks for confirming. I thought this was how it was done but I had some erroneous wires where they should not have been making confirmation difficult.

The left column (A B C D) is how it appears from the interior side of the firewall. The right column (D C B A) Is how it appears from the engine side of the firewall.

The left column (A B C D) is how it appears from the interior side of the firewall. The right column (D C B A) Is how it appears from the engine side of the firewall.
This explains it definitely and easily unlike @kiwigtx sad excuse for an explanation above lol

I don't see the difficulty here.
If your bulkhead plugs have any of the stock wires in them, it is easy to make sense of the orientation of the plug.
The side by side pictures of the plugs show them opened up like two pieces of bread from a sandwich, which is why they are mirror images of each other.
If the bulkhead plugs seem confusing, just back trace the wire colors from the drawing to your actual car.
Imagine a wire harness for a new car man.....THAT can be confusing.

I don't see the difficulty here.
If your bulkhead plugs have any of the stock wires in them, it is easy to make sense of the orientation of the plug.
The side by side pictures of the plugs show them opened up like two pieces of bread from a sandwich, which is why they are mirror images of each other.
If the bulkhead plugs seem confusing, just back trace the wire colors from the drawing to your actual car.
Imagine a wire harness for a new car man.....THAT can be confusing.
As I stated above KD the wires are old discolored and dirty. Also there were wires in open slots leading no where making tracing difficult at best. I did trace out obvious ones like the fusible link but I just wanted confirmation.
When I draw schematics I usually put in notes for orientation etc that are not obvious or can be read in different ways. It’s all about completeness and accuracy. No wheres my microfishe…

IMG_1834.jpeg

Castrol Super Clean is great on the grime. I've also used Brake cleaner, Carb cleaner, gasoline, Formula 409, Simple Green and often with a soft bristle toothbrush.
Chrysler used the same color wires for the same things for a few years. I have numerous used harnesses from A and B body cars from the late 60s to the mid 70s and the bulkhead plugs have almost the same exact color of wires and placement of them. The top 8 were usually wiper motor and neutral safety switch. The middle 8 were ignition, oil, water temp and power in/power out. The bottom 8 were usually headlight and turn signal, horn and one or two other things.

Last edited:
To make it easier. You have an engine harness plug. You have a forward light harness plug and the 3rd is just for the wiper motor I do believe. So its not that complicated.

To make it easier. You have an engine harness plug. You have a forward light harness plug and the 3rd is just for the wiper motor I do believe. So its not that complicated.
Some people must enjoy the attention of not being able to understand something as simple as a clearly defined answer.

I could dumb it down a bit, but to be honest my time is worth more than that to me right now.

FYI, there are actually letters ON the bulkhead connectors. :rolleyes:
I never noticed that. I just read the wire diagram in my factory service manual and made sense of it immediately. In 2015, that was the first time I looked at the FSM for a wiring issue. Prior to that, I just compared wiring from one car to another.
I needed the FSM when I bypassed the ammeter in my Charger when I swapped in the aftermarket instrument panel. It did make matters clearer for me to understand.
Yeah, I mentioned that in post #13. Thanks though, we often learn through repetition.
Some people must enjoy the attention of not being able to understand something as simple as a clearly defined answer.

I could dumb it down a bit, but to be honest my time is worth more than that to me right now.
I know that I've done things that were easy for me to grasp and also encountered stuff that just doesn't stick to my memory.
Diagrams are easy for me if they have colors, gauge sizes and pictures. I don't know that it is possible to make it any simpler than that. Even old wiring will clean up enough to see the colors of the insulation so you can trace their paths. I don't understand how Ron was having a hard time with this.

Guys your making way too big of a deal with this. All I was doing was asking for confirmation on how to view the connector. I got that like in the third post that was enough but then you guys keep going on, and on saying how many post this is going to be, and then contributing to it especially Kiwi.
As I explain, my harness was fucked up, it had wires that didn’t belong there. The ones that were not very traceable because they were so badly aged. Some wires were placed in there that didn’t belong. This is why I was having difficulty. Is that so hard to understand. I feel myself biting my tongue asking for help here. I thought that this was why the site was even made. I’ve had good experiences here and really didn’t expect to have to keep explaining something so simple. If you think this post shouldn’t have been posted then just ignore it and move on. I got better things to do with my time as well. I don’t put anyone down here wrt their ability to understand electronics or anything else. I am electrical engineer with a masters degree. I’ve designed electronics that are on Air Force One. I design RF communication equipment, satellite equipment RF power amplifiers. I designed Motorola cell phones anf RFIC’s and I worked for them for over 15 years as well as semiconductor companies. I’m not trying to rub this in anyone’s face but to write me off like you guys are doing is really ignorant and I’m really disappointed.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back