• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bump Key to get in trunk?

sam dupont

Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Bought a car and the trunk key is MIA. Looked on the internet without any luck. Does a Bump Key work on a 1967 Mopar and where can someone get one?

Bought a car and the trunk key is MIA. Looked on the internet without any luck. Does a Bump Key work on a 1967 Mopar and where can someone get one?
Bump keys are made with a key blank and a file. YouTube has videos on these. Yes, it will also work on your trunk lock. Easiest though is go thru the backseat with a mess of ratchet extensions. A lock pick is pretty easy too.

I thought about pulling the back seat, but didn't think I could get past the braces. Without the latch, I know a slotted screwdriver will work. What goes on the end of the extensions? I ask as it is a 20 mile drive and I want to have what I need.

I thought about pulling the back seat, but didn't think I could get past the braces. Without the latch, I know a slotted screwdriver will work. What goes on the end of the extensions? I ask as it is a 20 mile drive and I want to have what I need.
Been at least a hundred years since doing this but you can remove the latch itself with the right size socket and and a bunch of extensions if you can't get in through the braces. 1/2" iirc.....

If you have any trunk keys that fit try rocking them up and down as you gently turn. Did that to my dad's car once or twice.

1/2" socket & 4' of extensions or tape a flat blade screwdriver tightly to a 4' length of PVC pipe....

4 foot 1/4" rod. Hammer the tip of one end flat. Bend a short 90° on the other. Add it to the tools you never use again.

Take the back seat out and stick a kid in the trunk with a flash light and a flat blade screw driver. It worked for me, my fat *** wouldn’t fit. Lol

Most key linkages stick out the inside of the tumbler slot. Some possibly don't. Take a broom handle and saw a slot in one end. The other hammer a 1/4" x 1/16 piece of metal into it. Back seat out and use one end or the other to turn the tumbler.

Form 4 oz RDX in a circular fashion, affix to outside of trunk lock, insert igniter fuse, light, get at least 100ft away.. Trunk should be open shortly.....:rofl:

Oh sure! All these great ideas and I’ve always used a hole saw and cut the lock cylinder out from the trunk panel. :poke::rofl:

Don't have a hole saw, will a splitting maul work?

Add it to the tools you never use again.
Got a few of those kinds of tools.....also ones that I'll never use again are the ones that got loaned out and were never returned!

In wrecking yards we always reached through package tray and used a transmission dipstick.

....ones that I'll never use again are the ones that got loaned out and were never returned!

Lol, Just don't lock your only key in the trunk or forget where the hell that special place was that you could always find it!:D

Does your '67 Mopar have a lockable glove box? Take it to a locksmith and he can make a key...glovebox and trunk both use the same key.

I have used a broom handle with a slender straight blade screwdriver duct taped to the end. A lot lighter than the extensions, nothing special to make, all you use is a few inches of duct tape and you still have a broom and a screwdriver when you get done.

Auto Transport Service
Back