Bumper painting advice?

Canadian1968

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Go at it with some 80 grit quality sand paper. Coat of SPI epoxy , then finish as you want. No need to strip. If sandblasted you would want to go over with sandpaper anyway.

Did it to bumpers on my 68 Charger about 6 years ago now.

Tomcat

Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
Go at it with some 80 grit quality sand paper. Coat of SPI epoxy , then finish as you want. No need to strip. If sandblasted you would want to go over with sandpaper anyway.

Did it to bumpers on my 68 Charger about 6 years ago now.
6 years is definitely a good test! Thanks!

blue69runner

Local time
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the bumpers or are you just wanting to paint them. I must have missed something on why painting them. New ones are not cheap. I bed lined the back of my new bumpers on my 69 so they would not rust out from that side. Wish you luck sound like the guys have given you a bunch of info.

33 IMP

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
I have three painted that I did, or had done. Just roughed them up with either a vibrator sander or sandblasted. Primered and painted. No peeling now for over ten years. I surely didn't bother to strip the chrome, just sanded the rust. LOTS cheaper than a rechrome in california.

Tomcat

Local time
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with the bumpers other than the typical milky and slightly pitted chrome......I’ve just always loved the original elastomer bumpers painted to match, so that’s what I’m shooting for. I’d love very much to also acquire the brow/beek for the front, but DAMN it’s expensive!!!!!....and yes, I do have a true 71 bumper! Lol

70chall440

Local time
Reaction score
You can take the opportunity to weld in the bumper bolts for that nice clean look. Once you grind the chrome off you metal work them just like sheet metal meaning you want to seal the metal, skim coat and block them until they are smooth, then paint them.

Tomcat

Local time
Reaction score
You can take the opportunity to weld in the bumper bolts for that nice clean look. Once you grind the chrome off you metal work them just like sheet metal meaning you want to seal the metal, skim coat and block them until they are smooth, then paint them.
I had definitely planned to weld the bolts too......I have even considered possibly removing the heads altogether, but I also wonder if that may concentrate the pull of the nuts into too small an area and cause a convex in the face bar???.... decisions, decisions! Lol

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
if you can rough it up enough to get epoxy primer to stick you got it licked

try 180 on a da....test a small area

Still better to strip the chrome.
I did a bumper in the 70's using 36 grit to take the chrome off and it worked. Used several discs but got the job done on a 67 Dart front bumper. Was the only guy in town with a painted bumper. Left the rear chrome though because it was still in decent shape lol

Tomcat

Local time
Reaction score
I did a bumper in the 70's using 36 grit to take the chrome off and it worked. Used several discs but got the job done on a 67 Dart front bumper. Was the only guy in town with a painted bumper. Left the rear chrome though because it was still in decent shape lol
That seems to be what most folks suggest in all the other info I’ve found, so that’s what I’m gonna start with. Thanks!

Ghostrider 67

Power corrupts.....lol.....
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Sanded down, epoxy etching primer and paint.

20221105_121931.jpg

70chall440

Local time
Reaction score
I had definitely planned to weld the bolts too......I have even considered possibly removing the heads altogether, but I also wonder if that may concentrate the pull of the nuts into too small an area and cause a convex in the face bar???.... decisions, decisions! Lol
Your instincts are correct, if you just weld the bolt in the hole (which is square) you could have issues with deformation during tightening, however if you weld a plate or large washer over each hole (on the inside obviously) you can potentially avoid this issue. Just know that you have to do every hole with a similarly thick washer or plate.

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
A tad steep. I thought paying $1400 Canuck bucks to do my Bee rear bumper 5 years ago was steep, at the highest rated shop in Canada. Satellite front bumper is fairly simple in shape, but thankfully someone else paid to do this one.
shopcleanupcarsnov52022 098.jpg

SatelliteOfLove

Local time
Reaction score
A tad steep. I thought paying $1400 Canuck bucks to do my Bee rear bumper 5 years ago was steep, at the highest rated shop in Canada. Satellite front bumper is fairly simple in shape, but thankfully someone else paid to do this one.View attachment 1370597
Yea I thought so too, was hoping for under $1400.
Typical bumper no damage no rust through top lip is showing through chrome in spots. They had someones 50's Chrysler 300 all Chrome and stainless estimate at $32,000, ouch. They were going ahead with that job.
Just was amazed that people might be sanding down what might be a perfect chromed bumper, was trying to give a heads up Regarding costs now for chrome.

Ghostrider 67

Power corrupts.....lol.....
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Holy crap!! That's not my reason for wanting to paint mine, but it damned sure makes it even more appealing! Lol
It's a subjective question, prices will vary around the country...plus, as with any paint job, preparation is 98% of it.

Dan64

Local time
Reaction score
I would sand, epoxy and paint as mentioned but also make sure that you have good paint on the inside of the bumper as well. You don't want problems with the chrome lifting off of the steel later. This goes for bumpers that are left chrome also. I think it will look good painted