• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ca lic number 938 dan

bullitt was rdr 838,i watched that car chase seen 100s of times,,really did.
The real problem with the Bullit plate is that a 68 plate should have started with a U, V, or W. The RDR... is too early for 68. Calif also didn't allow you to keep a plate and move it to another car. It may be possible now, especially with personalized plates etc. but not back then.

The real problem with the Bullit plate is that a 68 plate should have started with a U, V, or W. The RDR... is too early for 68. Calif also didn't allow you to keep a plate and move it to another car. It may be possible now, especially with personalized plates etc. but not back then.
I have heard that at some DMV's in small or desert towns where there was less volume, the earlier character plates were issued up to 70. Coalinga issuing plates with a C first, when
Los Angeles was already up to the J's for example.

blues brothers lol,,thats my fav movie.

blues, elwood.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad had the black/yellow CA plate ZOG 168 issued in June 1969 in San Jose. The blue/yellow plates followed soon after, at least in the Bay area, in January 1970. Our neighbor had a brand new Mercedes Benz coupe that had the first blue/yellow tags I remember seeing then.

Auto Transport Service
Back