• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cable bill.

YIKES!!! 300.00 Samolies a month for cable, etc!!! I have Direct TV Choice with the Sports Extra Package for local West Coast games and sports, which runs me 137.00/month. I do have, three extra Genie boxes for 3 extra TVs, which is part of the price of 137.00, and zero premium channels. I do subscribe to MLB Extra Innings each season, got to have my Cubs games, which is an extra 25.00/month for the season at 6 payments. Dish and Spectrum cannot even match that as they do not offer it. I can watch every Baseball game throughout the US so it is worth it as opposed to paying that amount just for a ticket in the Nose Bleed section at a Ballpark. Let alone the prices for some Beers and Hot Dogs which is just as much as a Steak dinner out. My Internet and House Phone...yes I am old school and want a house phone...runs me 85.00/month and is through Charter/Spectrum as AT&T sucks and I dropped them like a hot potato after they kept jacking my rate up every year until it wasn't worth it. I have a cell but it is for travel and emergencies when away from home for extended periods and that runs 42/month firm as that one will never go up. With Direct TV, I do have to contact their Loyalty department every 12 months to renew my 50.00 to 60.00/month loyalty discount as I have been with them for over 15 years. That is just a small inconvenience to make that call every 12 months, but it works whenever I threaten to drop them by not honoring that discount. So every year with my TV, I pay less than 200.00/month which is a damn site better than 300.00...Good luck in finding a replacement program for you both...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

The gf might like that. She's been paying half each month, ( the ONLY reason I put up with the bill for so long).
THANKS! That's the kind of input I am looking for!
Another thought - if you have a newer TV that would allow you 4K video - instead of the Roku Express get the Roku 4K model. You get a better more functional remote and will give you better video when in 4K. Our TVs are about 15 yrs old and the best I’ll ever get is 1080p which is ok - so I got the Express unit. Same price about $30 on Amazon.

YIKES!!! 300.00 Samolies a month for cable, etc!!! I have Direct TV Choice with the Sports Estra Package for local West Coast games and sports, which runs me 137.00 I do have, three extra Genie boxes for 3 extra TVs and zero premium channels. I do subscribe to MLB Extra Innings each season, got to have my Cubs games, which is an extra 25.00/month for the season at 6 payments. Dish and Spectrum cannot even match that as they do not offer it. I can watch every Baseball game throughout the US so it is worth it as opposed to paying that amount just for a ticket in the Nose Bleed section at a Ballpark. Let alone the prices for some Beers and Hot Dogs which is just as much as a Steak dinner out. My Internet and House Phone...yes I am old school and want a house phone...runs me 85.00/month and is through Charter/Spectrum as AT&T sucks and I dropped them like a hot potato after they kept jacking my rate up every year until it wasn't worth it. I have a cell but it is for travel and emergencies when away from home for extended periods and that runs 42/month firm as that one will never go up. With Direct TV, I do have to contact their Loyalty department every 12 months to renew my 50.00 to 60.00/month loyalty discount as I have been with them for over 15 years. That is just a small inconvenience to make that call every 12 months, but it works whenever I threaten to drop them by not honoring that discount. So every year with my TV, I pay less than 200.00/month which is a damn site better than 300.00...Good luck in finding a replacement program for you both...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
DTV has a loyalty discount now? Years ago I had DTV. They would mail me **** about get this plan for 1/2 of what I was paying. I’d call them to sign up for that savings. They would then tell me I didn’t qualify because I wasn’t a new customer, I’d then ask about a loyalty discount. Not happening, its for newbie’s only. Id tell them quit sending me **** I can’t get. Finally bought an antenna, called to cancel they acted surprised and asked why?

Went thru the ringer with Direct TV over five years ago - Satellite Dish that I installed myself

Coaxial cables - Boxes blah blah blah - Was a customer for almost fifteen years - Bill was approaching $150 a month - Got so sick of 75% channels that I never watched

Cut the cable sort of speak

Started the Roku conversion when I switched over to Spectrum TV Choice - Pick your own channels plus local included - Bought my own router and modem and set up everything myself

Well that has doubled in price over the last few years after the promotion

So between Spectrum Internet and TV Choice back to around $150 a month

I love the wireless thru the house , Happy with Roku

Where will the $$$ End

cut the cable 6 months ago hooked up an antenna plus got elon's satellite internet, live stream most everything now, and no commercials, now they get you on subscriptions, got netflix and amazon prime which just started adding commercials or update to non commercial for more, about 140 month for all 120 for elon's internet which I need for my buisiness, so some of that is deductable. There gonna get ya one way or another, capitalism is awesome sometimes :(

About $250 a month here for Comcast. “Not too” Brightouse in Florida runs about the same. Pixel crappy service with up charges. Everybody we know who is beating the system has to play or scroll with 2 or 3 goddam controllers finding local or whatever.

Roku and antenna for me. just wifi for $20

I need a little help from those that have killed their cable bill.
We have used cable , with internet service, for about five years here( tri-state Az), paying what I feel is an outrageous $300/month. I would be perfectly happy on an antenna, but if I want anything like peace in the house (happy wife, happy life!), that won't work. The gf has to have her premium channels!
We currently have HBO and Showtime, and apparently Netflix, (which I don't use, cause I don't know how to access it, and frankly, I don't care)
A busy office, at the end of the month, so I dropped a check in the box for $300, and walked away
Now , the gf says we have no HBO, and she's right, so I call the cable company, they say the bill is overdue, and I have to pay a late charge.
So I go to the office with proof they cashed the check, and it was on time. They say a "promotion" ended and the bill was $330, plus late fee (what f-ing promotion? The one that ran five years?!?)

So, I'm fed up. I'm looking for an alternative (satellite, streaming service, [ever done it, don't know how] or something?) to keep the gf happy, and not give the cable company four thousand dollars a year any more.

Are there any good alternatives that a total incompetent like me can use?
You must have Cox Communications our bill is cough choke $357.27! No premium channels, Internet we pay for 1gig but stepson streams music so he pays $50 for unlimited usage so that's $50 off. Could switch to Frontier but it's only $20 cheaper maybe.

Another zero dollars spent for TV here, been using antenna only for years, and my phone hotspot for internet. I only watch old westerns and **** anyway.

DTV has a loyalty discount now? Years ago I had DTV. They would mail me **** about get this plan for 1/2 of what I was paying. I’d call them to sign up for that savings. They would then tell me I didn’t qualify because I wasn’t a new customer, I’d then ask about a loyalty discount. Not happening, its for newbie’s only. Id tell them quit sending me **** I can’t get. Finally bought an antenna, called to cancel they acted surprised and asked why?
To get it you must call and then demand to be connected to a Loyalty Rep. Seems that the tool-free number you call, is direct to the Phillippines center where you speak with either an LBFM...hope you know what that means...or one whose Tagalog-infused English is hard to understand in the first place Reps. You have to repeatedly request the transfer to get to the Good Ol' USA Rep to get it. Once there it goes through easy peezy. Sounds like a long shot I know, but in my case, I have been getting it every year at its renewal time and it is instantaneous!!!cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

OK, finally got around to cutting off cable TV today. It reduced the bill to a more user friendly $135 per month and this includes Xfinity’s faster 1 GB internet. Now I need to get used to the new streaming channels and erect my rooftop antenna.

$79 for unlimited internet/month, IPTV with 3,000 channels at $20/month so $99/month tax in. Free to air for local channels.
More than enough to watch. Movies, sports, car stuff, anything you want. Also have amazon prime and chromecast. Too much to watch really. Haven't had cable in over 10 years and don't miss it. Streaming is the way to go!

for many years we had dish network, towards the end the programming sucked . even my wife complained. i don’t watch much tv so it bothered her way more . recently we got high speed internet countywide. we signed up for a medium speed package . then i finally said ok to a flat screen tv ( a vizio) she was happy . we’ll it turns out my tv is cooperating with my internet. we get tons of programming for vizio& internet, no extra fee . also with an indoor digital antenna we get 12-15 local channels. out dish bill was around $150 with no premium channels( or internet) , our internet bill is around $80 bucks .

I have star link 120$ month stream whatever u need. Something to look into. Not sure if this is something u need but i don't watch TV i just need my FBBO

$79 for unlimited internet/month, IPTV with 3,000 channels at $20/month so $99/month tax in. Free to air for local channels.
More than enough to watch. Movies, sports, car stuff, anything you want. Also have amazon prime and chromecast. Too much to watch really. Haven't had cable in over 10 years and don't miss it. Streaming is the way to go!
Are you on cellular? If not, you still have a cable streaming the digital data.

We are set up simular to zzyzx.
Roof top antenna brings in 30 local channels.
We are 50 miles away from the broadcast towers so I put a booster on at the spilter.

We are with T mobile for our phones and internet.
We pay $140.00 per month for our phones with 5g & unlimited everything plus our internet home tower is included in that bill.
That T moblie internet has been just fine.
We have a couple smart/ roku TVs plus the lap top, Net flix and apple TV are included with our T Mobile deal so we have more channels to watch than we can ever use.
All in , 2 phones unlimited, internet, and aprox 400 channels for the $140.00
One more cool thing about T mobile is that price is taxes included.
We were with verizon and local fiber cable plus internet all of that was getting close to $400.00 when we pulled the plug.

I feel a little better now after reading what others are paying! been with bell satelite TV now for 20 yrs. and it's about $150 month for ultimate 12 package which doesn't exist anymore but I get everything! and unlimited internet from tower 1 mile away which works no matter what weather is doing for $62.
I was thinking that's a lot for TV but I guess I'm just old and cheap!

You may be old and cheap, but if all of you maybe don't remember that cable TV was shoved down our
throats with the promise of NO COMMERCIALS and alot of the money would go to our school children's
schools. Ya see how that worked out? Yeah, we all forgot about that part!

I have an OTA antenna on the house for the local stations. That works great ! I use streaming over the internet for all else. It is well under $100 per month, and there is so much stuff that the wife and I cannot possibly watch everything that we are interested in. Oh , BTW....we have been doing this since 2012.

We cut the cable 5 years ago and haven't looked back. We have a antenna on the roof for 40+ OTA digital channels, 85g download speed fiber optic internet for 50.00/ month fixed plus Netflix and Sling TV. Total is around 110./month and we have everything we need. Cable companies are a rip off and I would never fall into that trap again.

Auto Transport Service
Back