• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Car Coronet R/T

17WithaCoronetRT

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
hey guys, as some of you know i was looking for a B-body MoPar a few weeks ago and ironically within a week of posting i found a 1968 Coronet R/T 440. I figured instead of staying on that wanted page i could bring pics and the restoration to this page. I am very proud to be one of the few kids at my school who even has an interest in older cars, especially muscle being 17 years old, i choose to stay away from the imports and stay all american muscle. As me and my dad slowly go through the restoration i will try to keep people updated on pics. I also kinda had a general question, if you have a project that needs engine work, body work, and interior work, what should go first?

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

If I had a car like that and was 17 , I would do whatever it took to get it on the road and drive the heck out of it! before any restoration took place. Beat on it! Beat on it at the end of the day you'll have the most fun with it at this stage//. my 2cents

Start by taking a lot of pictures. Make sure you get a lot of detail shots so you know how everything goes back together. That assumes that everything is correct, of course. Still, a detail pic will always help to get it right. When you start taking things apart, tag or bag everything, including bolts. If the bolts are different lengths, make a note. Whether you start with body work or mechanical depends on your skills and whether you're gonna do it yourself.

I have a car similar to yours. I agree with darkhorse beat it, then tomorrow beat it again. However there is one drawback to that plan. You'll have SOOOO much fun it will delay your restoration because you won't want to stop driving and tear it down! Ask me how I know, LOL I'm six months behind already.

that's pretty cool car, first this i would do is try to get it running and driving so you know where you stand. then put a few miles on it.. i've seen way too many people start by tearing the car apart then loosing interest it then the car just sits...
remember a running vintage car is a hobby, once you've taken it apart it becomes a project.
i always keep a few hobbies around to take my mind off of my projects!

Glad you found a car you like. Looks like a great start. 17 is a great age, My 2 cents agrees with the DarkHorse, 1st get it safe, brakes, steering, motor. Make it presentable but don't take anything apart that you can't fix in a weekend. One color primer is OK in my books. The main thing is Drive Drive Drive. You can do a total restoration in the future. Good luck, You will find a lot of experience and parts on this site.

Thats great advice, i dont plan on losing interest, but getting it running and driving it hard is a great idea to keep myself interested, i also wanna name the car, dont know why but i feel like itd be cool, if i had a girl name for it i like "penny" cause the story behind getting the car was that we called and called and called the guy with no reply, he replyed once saying he'd send pics and we waited and got no pics, my dad then found a heads up penny at work and just that moment he said, "found a heads up penny, you know what that means, check your email" so i did, we had gotten pictures within half an hour of that penny being found and we got contact with him and went and got the car, so we still have the penny and are going to make it into a necklace and put it around the rearview mirror

i've seen way too many people start by tearing the car apart then loosing interest it then the car just sits...
remember a running vintage car is a hobby, once you've taken it apart it becomes a project.
Words of wisdom here..never a truer statement.. Ive bought so many cars in said project condition.. I always thought of it like this.... When your driving your car..you keep that fire inside burning.the longer the car sits,,especially in pieces the quicker the fire can die... wise man keeps atleast one fire burning at all times..when the fire dims add more wood...you can always find space for projects..

yeah we have more than one "project" right now, i want to think of this coronet rt as a hobby now, i want to get the bare essentials done and drive it like you were saying, i like the fire analogy, anyways heres a pic of both of the projects, the other is a 1957 chevy belair 2 door hardtop no-post with everything in the car being original, even that original rose pink color, my grandpa bought it in 1958, its been a one family car

vbpgimage.php

AWESOME CAR! Love the `68's I've got one waiting to be finished that I picked up with a friend last year. Resto was already started on it and allot of the hard work has been done on it already. I look forward to watching your progress on it, keep postin' youngster!

Get it in good running condition, and do as much work to it that you can and drive it at the same time. Save as much cash as you can, buy little parts here and there, and enjoy it!

agree

Get it in good running condition, and do as much work to it that you can and drive it at the same time. Save as much cash as you can, buy little parts here and there, and enjoy it!

well you have a heck of a start. take your time and get it running and safe. what you do now will set the pace for later. stuff you do now will be with that car for some years to come so do it right.
have fun doing it. the older you get the harder it is to keep interest. GOOD LUCK:headbang:

Nice to see the new generation keeping the hobby alive---thanks.

Great find, and with the black plates too. Do not let the DMV take those away and give you the crappy new plates. If you have the old title or a reg slip that shows the plate number for that car and you have both plates (and they are in good condition) then there is no reason for them to take them away. Ask to see a supervisor if the clerk persists. Of course you may not care but having black plates on older cars is kind of a badge of honor. I'm from CA too and still have mine!

I'll agree with a couple of posts that say get it running and drive it. Do what it takes to make it road worthy but don't go crazy. You will have plenty of good advice here so check back often.

If I had a car like that and was 17 , I would do whatever it took to get it on the road and drive the heck out of it! before any restoration took place. Beat on it! Beat on it at the end of the day you'll have the most fun with it at this stage//. my 2cents

X2

Great find, and with the black plates too. Do not let the DMV take those away and give you the crappy new plates. If you have the old title or a reg slip that shows the plate number for that car and you have both plates (and they are in good condition) then there is no reason for them to take them away. Ask to see a supervisor if the clerk persists. Of course you may not care but having black plates on older cars is kind of a badge of honor. I'm from CA too and still have mine!

I'll agree with a couple of posts that say get it running and drive it. Do what it takes to make it road worthy but don't go crazy. You will have plenty of good advice here so check back often.

i love black plates!! wayyy better than the new ones, would a registration card from 71 work?

i love black plates!! wayyy better than the new ones, would a registration card from 71 work?

yeah that old pink slip show the black plates to be original to that car, the DMV will ask you to fill out a statment of facts as to why you want to keep them, it takes quite a few weeks but you will get your tags in the mail... just don't give up those plate...

Auto Transport Service
Back