• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California's "Clean Air Package" cars. Is your car one of them?

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
The "E" just notes that the car was assembled in L.A. calif. We just need to see if this car was built as a "Federal" car or a "Calif." car. A Calif. car has an option called "CAP" or "Clean Air Package" only on cars to be sold in the Calif. in major populated areas. The 383s,440s, and 440-6bbls circa 1970-71 all suffered compression loss country wide due to federal mandate. The 340, 340-6bbls, and 426 Hemis did not lose their CRs. because of predicted sales of units equiped with those power plants. By 1970 they had already sold over 3 million 383s and half as many 440s. Cap cars come a vapor seporator system, and as you noted a distributor timing retarding system, also a charcoal can and a hot air controled thermostatic air cleaner. Cars equiped with fresh air hoods did not have the charcoal can or the air cleaner thermo can. Hope this helps,

You may have noticed that many GM and Ford vehicles of the era had air pumps as early as 1966, but Chrysler sort of "scammed" their way out of putting them on. I don't recall the whole story but it's worth looking up. I just have to remember where I saw it. 1970 brought us thermostatic air cleaners, charcoal canisters with better fuel evap controls and other stuff I can't think of right now.

Are you saying these things were ALL part of the CAP package? If so, where did you get this info? I don't think it is correct because I think all or the majority of that was standard on most models in 1971. The big stand out thing on CAP hipo cars is the turn down tailpipes rather than exhaust tips.

No. My 04 Ford Ranger is definitely NOT one of them....especially after last week. I ain't talkin. lol

I got into a tremendous arguement about this "back then"

I was stationed at NAS Miramar, San Diego. When I bought my NON CA 70 sixpack RR from a friend it...............

had no vapor separator, and no carb heat, as it had been a sixpack, with air grabber

When I got it it had an Edelbrock 180 intake, 800 Holley, and Cyclone headers. Conversations with the manufacturers ALL assured me that this stuff was legal with CARB

and...........................

I get stopped by the CHP and one of their roadside sniffer inspections

"Sir you have aircraft landing lights where your high beams should be. You are going to have to remove them."

"Sir your license plate light is non functional, that is a violation."

This was Monday, just after having been to Carlsbad over the weekend. Had ratty glasspacks on instead of the full exhaust system.

"Sir your exhaust system does not meet...................."

"Mallory coil is not approved by CARB"

"Illegal headers, no heat riser butterfly"

"No carb heat" (But sir the car did not COME with it!!)

"Non compliant carburetor"

"Sir you have removed the fuel vent system" (But NO!!! It didnt' HAVE this) "Sir you are in the state of Kal eee forrrrrrrrrrrrrn eeee ya and bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla"

Are you saying these things were ALL part of the CAP package? If so, where did you get this info? I don't think it is correct because I think all or the majority of that was standard on most models in 1971. The big stand out thing on CAP hipo cars is the turn down tailpipes rather than exhaust tips.

Yeah,
good point.
I have been researching this issue for some time.
My 1970 Bee (383) was a DOG. And yet, another guy I knew had a Roadrunner from San Bernardino. His was a 383 car also. It was stock like mine but "Fast as Hell".
An old-time mechanic in San Bernardino where he worked and bought his car told him the difference between his car and mine from Los Angeles. My 70 has the evaporative system, and the other "tell-tale" items I posted above.
696pack: I'm talking 1970, not 1971. The VERY FIRST when Chrysler "made the first deal" with CARB or who ever to install and de-tune these cars. The car HAD to have been "coded" by Chrysler as a "CAP" car, not the "Federal".
(this is why some Chevy guys out her in La La land thought their cars were quicker than the poor guy who just bought a 383 Roadrunner or Bee, knew the 69s were fast but got beat by a 396) It was a CAP car.
And yes, this did happen.
Now, lets try to find it in "print".
Again, my car was (is) a CAP car, built in the fall of 69, out of Los Angeles.

if this car was built as a "Federal" car or a "Calif." car. A Calif. car has an option called "CAP" or "Clean Air Package" only on cars to be sold in the Calif. in major populated areas. The 383s,440s, and 440-6bbls circa 1970-71 all suffered compression loss country wide due to federal mandate. The 340, 340-6bbls, and 426 Hemis did not lose their CRs. because of

440roadrunner:
Yes, this is EXACTLY what I have come to learn.
Thanks for the "post"
Your car simply DID NOT COME with the CAP equipment and the de-tune.
Anf yet, the Chippy or Calif cop did not believe you.

OK RustyRatRod...
"the cats outta the bag....!"
Hey:
PM me, tell me the details, I wont tell anyone..:angel11:

LOL

I thought some cap cars had nipples on the air cleaner versus not having them.....atleast with something from 66/67?

I do know that i have seen a RT car with a single snorkel air cleaner from the factory. Could be because it was an a/c car if I remember right.... (1969 Charger) MEEP MEEP has the pics to prove it.

Dan

I thought some cap cars had nipples on the air cleaner versus not having them.....atleast with something from 66/67?

I do know that i have seen a RT car with a single snorkel air cleaner from the factory. Could be because it was an a/c car if I remember right.... (1969 Charger) MEEP MEEP has the pics to prove it.

Dan

It was dual snorkel, but point well taken. Not all HP MoPars had an unsilenced air cleaner. Not sure if I have a pic of the engine.

And we all have to watch the emissions issue very carefully. Just because most older cars are not inspected in CA (maybe other states as well) that doesn't mean you are allowed to remove or disable the emission control devices or alter the engine in any way. It just means that it can stay the way the factory made it. There was a time in the 70's and 80's where a NOx kit was required and I'm sure that has to stay as well. But it's been a long time since I had my smog license and was more up on this stuff.

69RTSINGLESNORKELPROOF.jpg

And we all have to watch the emissions issue very carefully. .

I thought I was safe buying a 67. But some time ago I discovered that AZ has "invented" smog checks for 67's!!!!

Federal 67's-------------

Cars which were never engineered to meet any smog specifications

Cars which probably on a day to day basis make up such a small percentage of the on-road AZ cars that it cannot even be MEASURED.

You don't REALLY think (do ya?) that after the poor bastard leans down and re - re -re tards the 67, gets it to sneak past the (invented) AZ checks, that he/ she is not gonna go right back home and get out the screwdriver and timing light?? Well, DO ya??

LOL

And of course SOME states have really stuck "us" in the a$$. This BS about meeting specs of whicever is newer, the body or the engine, is COMPLETE BS.

You put a 75 BLOCK into an otherwise 67 car, complete with 67 top end, heads, cam, carb, and distributor, and NOW you are expected to meet smog checks in that state for a 75 engine? WHAT planet are these people from??

That's funny you said that 440roadrunner. My '67 actually has a '75 440 in it. Thank god i don't have to deal with that mess. I'm in the military and i'm still a Wisconsin state resident. Wisco doesn't have many smog laws, and since i'm in Cali "against my will" (stationed here) i can still register my car in America's Dairyland:grin:

Here uncle, I guess your age is showing.....I remember the car well......

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/purposebuilt/vehicles/3128/photos/90323

Ah, young nephew, think again. What you are seeing is the transplanted 383 2 BBL that I stuffed in there. Note the log manifolds. The original 440 was frozen up and I wanted to get the car moving so I can register it, etc.. Good work on finding the pics though! When I spoke to the current owner a few years ago he said the engine in the car is not the numbers matching 440 that I gave him but some replacement. The original engine is still sitting in the frozen up condition and he plans to put it in his other MoPar (70 RR I think he said). How to ruin a numbers matching R/T SE Charger by pure vision.

If there is one thing I learned a long time ago is the smog guy doesn't want to know what you did unless it's so obvious he can't help but ask. When CA was testing older cars I got my 68 383 RR to pass smog on it's own with flying colors. I had the stock AVS and a DP4B intake (looks close enough to stock), headers (legal modification), original air cleaner and PCV, and the best part......I was running the MoPar .528" / 284 cam will the lash set .004" looser across the board. All I asked was if I can test the HC and CO readings and when I saw it was going to pass I said now I want to smog it. My readings were about half what was allowable. Unless you have an expert at every smog station that can tell what year engine you have I'd say make it look like the year of the car and keep your mouth shut.

CA did (does) have the year of engine smog thing. I remember when that happened, but we managed to work around it and in many cases it made the installation of the newer more powerful EFI engines perfectly legal. Or even a 440 in a 318 car/truck as long as the 440 was offered in that year.

Ah, young nephew, think again. What you are seeing is the transplanted 383 2 BBL that I stuffed in there. Note the log manifolds. The original 440 was frozen up and I wanted to get the car moving so I can register it, etc.. Good work on finding the pics though! When I spoke to the current owner a few years ago he said the engine in the car is not the numbers matching 440 that I gave him but some replacement. The original engine is still sitting in the frozen up condition and he plans to put it in his other MoPar (70 RR I think he said). How to ruin a numbers matching R/T SE Charger by pure vision.

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: Im going down in flames!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back