• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caliper bracket issue/help

I think they use the hole to ridge on bracket, doesn't make sense but looks that way.
ddisco.JPG

I think they use the hole to ridge on bracket, doesn't make sense but looks that way.View attachment 1405999
Ok, that method of measuring is so f’d up. If I hold a ruler straight across the middle of the two bottom holes and then use a tape measure for the up measurement, I get the 3.5” from middle of bottom hole to that flat spot. I thought the Disc Tech article was 3.5” from hole to hole. But pic#6 is sure confirmation that my adapters have been grinded.

Based on all of this research, thanks everyone, my spindles are something other than for 11.75 rotors?

Maybe I can find the correct adapter at the upcoming Mopar Indy swap meet, or just buy a new correct setup.

Could look for A-Body disc spindles? Bring the bracket or measurement between mounting holes. I bet you don't want to change those, who would. If you change spindles have ball joint boots on hand so if one or all get torn. Rebuilt front end on my 65 Dodge changed from 10" by? to 11"by 3". Saw the Disco article and switched to that. Only tore one out of four. Good luck which ever way you go!

Maybe this helps narrow down what spindle you might have. Comparing what I have with the spindle pics you've posted show many differences, maybe yours are original to the car. Maybe someone can share a pic of an original 68-69 disc spindle.

I dug out and measured several sets of Disc brake spindles and adapters. These are the big bolts that mount the adapter to the spindle.

73-76 A body, 73-74 B body and FMJ measure 3 1/8" center to center between the caliper adapter to spindle mounting bolts.

Both early 70's C body sets I have measure 3 1/2" center to center between the caliper adapter to spindle mounting bolts.

Last edited:
based on the fender tag, my understanding was the Bee is an original disc/drum brake car.

Just curious, what is the center to center measurement between the two big bolts that attach the adapter to the spindle you have?

If the adapter wasn’t bastardized, the original holes look to be right at 3”

Just curious, what is the center to center measurement between the two big bolts that attach the adapter to the spindle you have?

Okay, so whats the distance between the mounting holes on the spindle? I ask because I have a spare set of adapters for a C body that might bolt on your spindles but I don't know if they will position the caliper correctly over the rotor. If you're willing to try them and post pictures, I'm willing to send them, and maybe we all learn something.

Mounting holes are 3.625”

Okay, so whats the distance between the mounting holes on the spindle? I ask because I have a spare set of adapters for a C body that might bolt on your spindles but I don't know if they will position the caliper correctly over the rotor. If you're willing to try them and post pictures, I'm willing to send them, and maybe we all learn something.

image.jpg

These are what I have, they measure just a little over 3 1/2". If you think they may work for you and want to give them a try, PM me your shipping info and I'll get them sent this week.

IMG_2355.JPG

Success! The brackets worked with only a bit of grinding on the bracket outside for clearance, but no hacking up the mounting holes. Now fingers crossed the calipers and pads fit back on.

These are what I have, they measure just a little over 3 1/2". If you think they may work for you and want to give them a try, PM me your shipping info and I'll get them sent this week.

F015EAA3-D4B3-42CF-AB8A-D43FACADCAE3.jpeg

76A6C49B-EEB8-4BAA-900E-5848D5CC9ABC.jpeg

Yes, that bracket worked perfectly and been driving the car with good brakes. I’ll try and post pics of the brackets painted and everything mounted.

Being a 69 it should have four piston Bendix brakes so anything about "original" is suspect....

Quoted from the O/P "The rotor is roughly 11.5” OD and is 0.75” width" I'm wondering if it's the 66-69 spindle & rotor with the 70 caliper & bracket rigged to work... Fact is I think that exactly what's going on... This is a set of 66-69 backing shields.. Which appear to match the picture posted of what's on the car...

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
These are the 70 shields...

s-l500.jpg

And the 73 & up....

s-l640.jpg

Hmmmm, interesting stuff. Ever since I got the car the single pistons have been on and I’m guessing the single pistons are easier to find.

Being a 69 it should have four piston Bendix brakes so anything about "original" is suspect....

Quoted from the O/P "The rotor is roughly 11.5” OD and is 0.75” width" I'm wondering if it's the 66-69 spindle & rotor with the 70 caliper & bracket rigged to work... Fact is I think that exactly what's going on... This is a set of 66-69 backing shields.. Which appear to match the picture posted of what's on the car...

View attachment 1476239

Hmmmm, interesting stuff. Ever since I got the car the single pistons have been on and I’m guessing the single pistons are easier to find.
Yeah, the four piston stuff is intermittently available and when it is it's $$$$.... If I were you I'd consider tracking down 73-76 A body spindles, rotors & brackets... Mismatched parts might be fine but if there's a weird problem hiding in there when it pops up it could be to late.....

Yes, that bracket worked perfectly and been driving the car with good brakes. I’ll try and post pics of the brackets painted and everything mounted.
Great you're back on the road, I look forward to seeing the pics.

So here’s a few pics and not sure if they’re good enough to show anything. BUT, I am so glad you guys wanted pictures because while taking the pics I noticed a bolt was missing. Holy ****!! Now, half hour before taking these pictures, I was out driving the Bee and it was clunking like crazy. But I figured it was the poly bushings in the front arms. As I’m driving I hear this pop and was like WTF and what’s that hissing?! Pull over and rear right tire is going flat.

Get the car home, jack it up to change wheels/tires and I start taking pics. AND that’s when I noticed “there’s a bolt missing in that caliper bracket!” The bolt fell out, ran it over, and blew the damn tire. Checked the other bolts and everything was loose on both sides. I got lucky this time!! Tightened all the bolts again and really leaned my body weight into the wrench, and used red loctite. Went for a drive and wow the car is so much quieter now.

Also went back and found the bolt on the road side.

D1F1414F-A913-42DD-9F7B-9F0D84B54C4F.jpeg

34D3A5EC-4E67-46FD-AA81-5E9713D21D40.jpeg

7D781C1D-C940-453D-951F-D8350CE65878.jpeg

C207562C-52E0-4670-BFAD-251D238AB0B9.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back