• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam lift vs. head flow

Andrew

Local time
9:50 PM
Reaction score
I am refreshing a 440 for a 70 coronet R/T 4 spd 3:54. The motor currently has a solid flat tap comp custom grind similiar to xs290s. (.54 int / .558 ex) I would like to change it to a hydr roller but not sure which one. The heads are eddie RPM Prfrmrs. Considering the flow characteristics of these heads out of the box what would be the ideal cam lift without wasting unnecessary spring wear, cam duration etc.

Comps XR-292-hr-10 is a hyd roller with similar lift and mild springs as far as roller go. its a split duration cam with 242I/248e @.050" on a 110 centerline. I used this cam in the past and it worked good in a 440+.030 and unported Ed heads. I replaced the springs & retainers per the Comp spec.and used roller rockers. I also used a single plane intake with a 950HP series holley. Good luck, give Comp a call and see what they say.

The charts I've seen show about .550" lift. I'd focus more on picking a cam that will work best with your compression ratio and gear choice. I think the heads with better ports are a bonus and should allow you to do more with less cam.

Auto Transport Service
Back