• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft question for the group

68HemiRR

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
I have a big block camshaft that has been in my parts cabinet for many years, and I can no longer remember what engine it is from. The casting number between the gear and the first lobe appears to be 2402722. Any help is much appreciated.

DSCN3936.JPG

DSCN3938.JPG

Found this...

If you want a personal and professional "Opinion", either use it as a door stop, or trash can weight. I am just being honest, others may disagree.

If you want a personal and professional "Opinion", either use it as a door stop, or trash can weight. I am just being honest, others may disagree.
Agree. Some stuff just needs to be recycled.

On the end of the cam, numbers should be stamped into it.
OR, It needs the cam doctor treatment so you’ll find out the full specs of the cam. Option 3 is to send it to a grinder to be ground with something closer to exactly what you need or want.

I have no intention of using it. All I asked was if anyone could ID it. :)

Better a doorstop than an unknown entity that may go boom.

I've never heard of "grind numbers" being cast in. How would a foundry know how the core will be ground?

That is a factory casting number for the stock 383-440 cam, the other stock cam they made had last 3 casting numbers of 454

Auto Transport Service
Back