• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft question

hemiEssex

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
My 65 Coronet came with a rebuilt 440 engine. It is a 68HP engine. It has been bored 30 over, has a balanced steel crank, new pistons etc. I took it apart to paint it and check it over as I wanted to make sure it was rebuilt as the seller was not 100 percent certain, it was just what he was told. Anyways, the cam is a Crane HMV-272-2-NC. It is brand new as well as the lifters and timing chain, I think the engine does not even have 100 miles on it as the cam has not even broken in yet. What kind of cam is this? I want to put an aluminum dual plane intake, 750 holley carb, headers, MSD ignition and 3 inch exhaust. If I was to use this cam, what would you guys recommend for a converter. I am planning on running 3.23 gears as I live in the north of BC Canada and I want to drive this car to show etc. It is an automatic 727 and it has what looks like a mopar converter, how do you know what it is as well. It seems a shame not to use all of this stuff as I figure all of this was done in about 93 and the car was never driven after that.
I welcome any thoughts
cheers
Steve

I have use a very similar cam in the small blocks. For the big block, it is smaller than the road runner cam. You'll not need a higher stall converter with this cam. If your converterless, the OE high stall converter will be OK with this cam.

Not knowing the specs of the cam I'd guess it's on a 112 LC. Should work well with your proposed setup. Just today I installed an 11" TCI converter that has an advertised stall of 2400 RPM. I'm running a 440 with the MoPar 272 / .455" lift cam and it seems to work very well. Or like rumble said, use the factory high stall unit, which I think is pretty much the TCI unit. Just order one for a 318 application and not the externally balanced 360. You will also need the accompanying flex plate.

IIRC, that cam has a .450 intake and .480 exhaust lift with 272/284 duration but that's measured at .005 lift. Cams that list their specs at .050 is more real world since not much is happening at .005 lift.....

Last edited:
The intake valve closing point measured at .005" is important since this is the most crucial timing event and is when the engine starts to build cylinder pressure. Flow numbers taken at .005" - .050" are probably worthless hence the "timing at .050".

Yup, I agree and whenever I degree in a cam, I check to make sure what's going on at .005 and I want to know how many degrees before and after TDC. It's just cams are advertised more than one way....like a small cam that's measured at .005 can appear to be a much bigger cam than one that is bigger but measured at .050.....

Auto Transport Service
Back