• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a 70 RR coupe/ht be converted to a convertible?

No matter how many Charger convertible conversions are made, they'll never look right until someone redesigns the Coronet/Belvedere convertible frame to work with a Charger windshield frame. 50% of the Charger's looks comes from the lower greenhouse and aggressive tumblehome (for the pre-fuselage era, anyway).

Plopping the tall convertible roofline on them makes the end result look like a huge '67 Dart convertible - only the Dart wears the result better.

-Kurt

The windshield height is only 1 inch higher than a regular Charger,I have measured them side by side. The bean counters at Chrysler would have done it exactly like I did.

The windshield height is only 1 inch higher than a regular Charger,I have measured them side by side. The bean counters at Chrysler would have done it exactly like I did.

Guess I'd have to sit around making diagrams until I can figure out the trick to making the factory convertible roofs look right. Granted, even a stock '68-70 (without a Charger conversion) looks like the window frame sits a bit too high for the top, so it's not as if what I'm thinking of is easy by any means...goes right into the field of "customizing."

No offense to your car of course. If I had the time and the resources, I'd probably be trying it myself...which is why I think of it much too often for my own good ;)

-Kurt

Guess I'd have to sit around making diagrams until I can figure out the trick to making the factory convertible roofs look right. Granted, even a stock '68-70 (without a Charger conversion) looks like the window frame sits a bit too high for the top, so it's not as if what I'm thinking of is easy by any means...goes right into the field of "customizing."

No offense to your car of course. If I had the time and the resources, I'd probably be trying it myself...which is why I think of it much too often for my own good ;)

-Kurt

I have seen people try to do them the other way,by cutting the roof off a Charger and grafting the convertible top onto it,and the top don't jive with the windshield frame or side glass. For the one inch difference in top height,I would rather have a top that works functions and seals like the factory intended it to.

NJRR - I'll start from front to back on differences
- front sheetmetal is interchangeable from any SW, 4dr, 2dr Plymouth B body line....that's the easy part
- Firewall, upper cowl, inner and outer door hinges are the same across coronet and belvederes....66-70
- Front framerails the same 66-70
- Front frame torque box - not always there...I have a 68 convertible that doesn't have them....regardless it's available as an aftermarket part
- Rockers.....convertible specific. Below the outer rocker is a 1/4" formed steel plate that runs the length of the rocker....it would be hard to put one into a hardtop
- Windshield to upper cowl plate stamping (where the windshield attaches...the leaded seam), windshield frame, windshield chrome surround - 68-70 convertible specific
- Windshield - I've heard that the 67 sedan and convertible windshield is interchangeable but haven't confirmed...otherwise 68-70 convertible are the same across the coronet and belvedere lines
- Doors - glass and vent frame post is different. Shell looks to be interchangeable but needs the brass wedge at the back where the door latch meets the door post
- Door latch post - convertible specific
- Rear windows - convertible specific to the 68-70 coronet and belvedere lines
- Rear interior steel panel that the window regulators mount to is convertible specific to 68-70 coronet and belvedere lines
- Dutchman - convertible specific to 68-70 coronet and belvederes
- Quarter Panels - the top portion is convertible specific and are the same across the coronet and belvederes just around the convertible top area....you would have to splice a quarter panel at the top ridge line
- Wheel tubs - they have a cap that is convertible specific but the lower portion is the same. Aftermarket parts could be modified to accept the cap. I know that 68-70 coronet and belvedere parts would interchange....I don't know about the 66-67
- Sheet metal in the convertible boot well area may be interchangeable from 66-70...definitely 68-70 coronet and belvedere
- Rear torque boxes - common across all convertible B bodies 66-70 and are available aftermarket
- Spare tire mount is unique to convertible
- Trunk lid hinges, hinge brackets, and torsion springs are convertible specific
- all the rear window tracks and hardware are convertible specific
- Rear frame rails, trunk floor, gas tank trunk lid, tail lights.....common across the 2 dr and 4 dr belvederes
- Top frame - 68-70 coronet and belvedere

The short version....find a 68-70 B body convertible to start with and hang the rear quarters and 70 sheet metal to it. You will be light years ahead.

DSD1967- Yours was THE most comprehensive answer to my original question and clearly describes the difficulties in doing this type of conversion. It's way beyond my abilities and would need a skilled Mopar guy to pull it off. I appreciate all your input ( the rest of you guys too).

Well, the question of this post is moot for me now. Lady luck smiled upon me and this basically fell in my lap. And, it was right in my backyard. Picking it up tomorrow. Will post more pics then. Also, since I only have one garage for my toy, I'll be putting my 70RR up for sale. Forum members will get first crack.

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

If you compare a 70RR and a 70RR/Sat convertible in the same condition, the value for the convertible will be higher. Also, the number of 70 RR/Sat convertibles was under 2000 made combined. So, not easy finding either one for cheap. We can debate the philosophy of whether or not to do it all day, but that was not the intent of my post.

That all being said, anyone have any input on the actual process of doing that type of conversion? Specifically, parts interchangability? Frame differences and modification required?

PS- RC, totally ridiculous, off the mark analogy! :realcrazy:
Not really. RCs point made sense to me.
You could start off with a 68 or 69 Satellite convertible and hang the 1970 sheet metal on it.

Not really. RCs point made sense to me.
You could start off with a 68 or 69 Satellite convertible and hang the 1970 sheet metal on it.

As I just posted today, doesn't matter to me anymore. I found a 70 convertible.

Nice to see you took my advice. BTW, your purple Road Runner is a nice looking car.

My post was more of an intellectual exercise to determine what would be involved in doing that kind of conversion. I never really seriously considered cutting up my RR. It's just too nice of a car. You had some valid points but the clincher was DSD1967's response with all the detail.

I'm sorry to see the RR go, but really want the ragtop. I will get much more enjoyment out of it ( of course dropping in a big block might be nice !!!!)

My post was more of an intellectual exercise to determine what would be involved in doing that kind of conversion. I never really seriously considered cutting up my RR.

In other words, you were yanking everyone's chains. :mob:

Auto Transport Service
Back