• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can a steering wheel get painted.

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
So the charger steering wheel is hosed and I have another 70 wheel but its dark green. It needs to be black. Has anyone ever painted a steering wheel ? Product used? thanks Dave

This one is painted, Herbs interior dye/paint.
20210304_154618.jpg

Or you can do the old leather wrap. Gives the wheel a little more cushion, and just a little more size, makes it the most comfortable steering wheel IMO.

B0422375-FE40-4814-A693-7A70A3C55684.jpeg

This one was painted with single stage catalyzed urethane. I don’t wear rings but this one is 20 years old and doesn’t have a mark on it.
26FCE917-746C-4B2D-8F80-56FBD80F6DA7.jpeg

The wheel in my 63 Fury was painted 20 years ago and looks good yet! I also painted the wheel in my Roadrunner using an off the shelf can of black spray paint! It turned out good as well. ruffcut

100_0243.JPG

100_0209.JPG

My '63 wheel is at my paint shop now, custom blend to match the AAA code...

Yes, a steering wheel can be re-painted, as long as the painter knows what he is doing. I had a really rough and cracked wheel in my A100 when it arrived. By the time we had finished restoring the truck (about 90 days later) the steering wheel looked brand new.
I now have a padded faux leather cover on it for extra thickness and grip while driving.
I also managed to track down a centre button in much better condition, as well as a new horn switch.

Before - 2010..... (The cracks and chunks missing are no longer detectable, even after 12 years).....
Steering wheel old.JPG

After - 2010 (some 90 days later) at a photoshoot.....
Steering wheel restored.JPG

They're not hard to do. Single stage urethane works great. I repaired quite a few cracks in mine with epoxy. It's been done since 2012. Still looks great.
Doug
I31.jpg
I29.jpg
I33.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back