• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anybody explain steering for me?

It's also chassis stiffness, wheelbase, weight distribution..the list goes on.

The old cars handle differently and that's a good thing. I find driving mine much more relaxing that my modern car. Improve what you have by all means, but enjoy what you have too. A nice riding car that you drive a little slower around the corners, but you really have to drive it yourself.
Or go with a QA1/FF/ or Hotchkis setup and enjoy the best of both worlds. My 66 Charger kills it on cloverleaf interchanges now and still has an excellent ride. Not as soft as it was, but still very comfortable.

I’m sure it drives great but drive a 2023 and it’s a totally different feel.

Like I’ve said it before even a Stock rebuild is great for these cars. I can only imagine if you go a few steps up I just don’t see a 50 year old car out handling or rivaling a new car.
Then you have the number of Dodges in salvage dying young because the driver couldn't handle them..

I just don’t see a 50 year old car out handling or rivaling a new car
I'd bet that you could get a 4 door Dart or Valiant to rival a new car handling. Mainly because it a easy #1000 lighter. Making a light car handle is easier than a heavy car.

I'd bet that you could get a 4 door Dart or Valiant to rival a new car handling. Mainly because it an easy #1000 lighter. Making a light car handle is easier than a heavy car.
I’d say many have tried that’s why you’ll see 200k cars being sold with less that 5k miles after the build. Research what goes into a new car as far as development and you’ll see.

I agree you can improve a vintage car but to rival at the same numbers as a new one in speed, safety, performance, comfort , handling and even fuel economy… good luck

I’m sure it drives great but drive a 2023 and it’s a totally different feel.

Like I’ve said it before even a Stock rebuild is great for these cars. I can only imagine if you go a few steps up I just don’t see a 50 year old car out handling or rivaling a new car.
I have owned an 2021 Charger scat pack and my 66 handles better than it did. I’ve taken both to track days at the Autobahn in Joliet. The difference in weight is noticeable
I’d say many have tried that’s why you’ll see 200k cars being sold with less that 5k miles after the build. Research what goes into a new car as far as development and you’ll see.

I agree you can improve a vintage car but to rival at the same numbers as a new one in speed, safety, performance, comfort , handling and even fuel economy… good luck
watch this video… that 70
Sattelite with a bolt on suspension still using Torsion Bars and stock Lower Control Arms is a full second Faster than a New BMW around the auto cross by a full second…

Last edited:
I drive my modern cars for what they are. I drive my classic cars for what they are. I don't try to make one into the other. I want the drive, the FEEL, of what I drove 50 years ago. And then, i'll drive my modern muscle for what it is. When I drive my road runner, I am in a time-machine.

I drive my modern cars for what they are. I drive my classic cars for what they are. I don't try to make one into the other. I want the drive, the FEEL, of what I drove 50 years ago. And then, i'll drive my modern muscle for what it is. When I drive my road runner, I am in a time-machine.
That’s all good and well, but I recently moved to East Tennessee with all these wonderful curving roads and realized that my 50 year old car wasn’t that fun to drive until I updated the suspension and now I have the best of both worlds.

"why my 67 charger doesn’t drive like a 2023 charger"
It's due to the fact that 2023 Chargers
have electro-hydraulic steering (as in
my 2014 Mustang GT). The steering
"feel" is even selectable between
standard and sport. Sport being a little
more effort to turn the steering wheel
when in track mode.
I'm guessing your '23 Charger has the
same capability.
Power steering systems of yesteryear
varied greatly between manufacturers.
Pump volume and pressure, steering
box ratios, tire compounds and
inflation pressure, overall steering
geometry, are all much different
in todays' cars.

I'm not talking about buying a high zoot, high$$$ suspension. If you make sure the suspension in your classic is blueprinted it will handle much, much better. You will have to shim, grind, weld, measure, measure about 16 more times. Another is power steering pressure, you do not need 1400 psi to steer a Chrysler box. 1400 is a target pressure for a rack and pinion car, if you put a generic Saginaw rebuilt pump on your car it will be 1200 plus.

I will admit that a new car will handle better on a very bumpy surface, because of the limitations of leaf springs better at loads than comfort. The asymmetrical springs used in muscle era Mopar are far superior to the axle in the middle of the spring junk GM and Ford peddled on everyone.

Ok so I’ve looked at everything I can but haven’t found anything dumb enough for me to comprehend. I have a 67 charger. Factory power steering, front disc brake conversion if that matters….

Basically, can anyone explain to me in as dumbed-down as possible lol why my 67 charger doesn’t drive like a 2023 charger.

I don’t have much slop in my wheel, it’s pretty responsive, but it almost feels over-accentuated. Like I said, I’ve read a lot about upgrades that can be done- but I don’t have a good grasp on what exactly the core reasons are and what those upgrades are doing.

Thanks for anyone who’s got a minute to
I feel your pain , I’m doing to my car some of same front improvement , LCA sway bar ect ,suggestions by members here

One thing I didn’t read , steering wheel size , seem to help me , I went with Tuff wheel , little smaller than my factory wheel

Auto Transport Service
Back