• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify these pushbutton shifters, please?

David Womby

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
My car has a pushbutton shifter with round buttons mounted horizontally. It's on the right in the photo. I have seen Valiants with round buttons but they were mounted vertically.

Can anyone tell me which, if any, Mopars used round buttons fitted horizontallly?

I am also curious about the rectangular buttons on the left of the photo. It's later and has the added Park lever. Dodge 880 maybe?

Thanks

408 v 409 shifter.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know for sure, but the round buttons do look like "A" body buttons, and the pic on the left look like '64 "B" body buttons. The pic on the left is from a Mark II? I'm wondering if they did'nt have the buttons cast to fit the mechanism sideways, if you know what I mean. Also, they could possibly have been a little behind in the model years..... Your car is a '64?? Does it have a cast iron automatic, or is it an aluminum Torqueflite??

Don't know for sure, but the round buttons do look like "A" body buttons, and the pic on the left look like '64 "B" body buttons. The pic on the left is from a Mark II? I'm wondering if they did'nt have the buttons cast to fit the mechanism sideways, if you know what I mean. Also, they could possibly have been a little behind in the model years..... Your car is a '64?? Does it have a cast iron automatic, or is it an aluminum Torqueflite??
Thanks. My car is a 1964 Bristol 408 Mk1 but the transmission isn't original. It is an aluminum TF bearing the number no. "2400157 022398". No prefix letter. It looks like it has the parking pawl fitting in place under the rear of the transmission but it's not connected. The original transmission would not have had the park mechanism and the shifter has no provision for it. I'd like to use the parking pawl and so I need to replace the shifter but I don't know what car to source it from.

David

Trans number 24000157 translates to a '62 vintage torqueflite 727 for small block 318. I can't help much with the shifter assembly. I assume the picture on the left is just that, a picture?? No way for you to find out if there's a part number on that shifter?? Maybe is you could come up with a Mopar number for the shifter you do have, it would at least give a clue to the form factor.... meaning is it indeed for a Valiant application, etc., or is it an oddball made for a Bristol specifically (unlikely, I'd think). If you decide to tear into it, maybe even pix of your shifter assembly posted here might be enough to point you in the right direction?? Your only other alternative would be Bristol message boards, if such a thing exists!!

Those round buttons sure resemble what the '60 Plymouth had.

Google 'dashboards' for various years Dodge/Plymouth/models. Your guess on the rectangle buttons for Dodge is likely close. '63 still had them, but Canada models had a Plymouth dash as I recollect with vertical buttons. Don't recall Darts w/ horizontal buttons after it was made a compact; but memory is foggy.

My car has a pushbutton shifter with round buttons mounted horizontally. It's on the right in the photo. I have seen Valiants with round buttons but they were mounted vertically.

Can anyone tell me which, if any, Mopars used round buttons fitted horizontallly?

I am also curious about the rectangular buttons on the left of the photo. It's later and has the added Park lever. Dodge 880 maybe?

Thanks

View attachment 1496032
Pretty sure the one on the right is from a Bristol 407. Very elegant hand build English car. They used Mopar power trains.

Pretty sure the one on the right is from a Bristol 407. Very elegant hand build English car. They used Mopar power trains.
Yes the 407 is the same but the pic on the right is of my 408. What I am looking for is the US Mopar model that was the source of the buttons used in the 408 and, especially, the 409 shown in the pic on the left.

David

My 63 Dodge has horizontal ones. They look similar.

330 dash.jpg

I think the 63/4 A body Valiant or Barracuda seems closest. Maybe Bristol just rotated the shift assemble. I have a friend who used to restore Bristols. I can ask him to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks

View attachment 1496032
The round ones look like they come from an old Olympia typewriter.

1691912499958.png

I think the 63/4 A body Valiant or Barracuda seems closest. Maybe Bristol just rotated the shift assemble. I have a friend who used to restore Bristols. I can ask him to see if he has any ideas.
Please do. The round button one in the Bristol 407 and 408 Mk1 definitely looks like the Valiant vertical shifter rotated but the button labels are rotated too to display horizontally. Can the labels be twisted 90 degrees on the ends of those buttons?

David

Hi there, yes 63 was the first year for the Park function on a 727 so it does have a separate level for this. My Dodge is a 63 440 but it should be the same on a 330 or Polara. My friend got back to me and agreed that the round button shift mechanism was from an A body. May have been driven by getting the shift cables to point to the trans tunnel in a RHD install.

Auto Transport Service
Back