• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Federal Power Steering Pump - Does anyone know a vendor that can test and repair these pumps?

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a remanufactured federal power steering pump from a reputable vendor (out of State) whom I have purchased other items for my 67 Charger restoration. After too long, maybe 1.5 years, I finally installed my engine in the car with the power steering pump. Now the car is running and drivable but my power steering is not working. The pump keeps its fluid, no leaks, no unusual sounds, the belts are new, correct pulleys, new pressure hose but I have no power steering.

I don't know how to measure the pressure of the steering pump while running and thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a reputable vendor that can test the pump for me? Also, what is the proper way to test a power steering pump? My service manual has a description(see attached photo) to attach an adapter fitting with a hose to a gauge. Has anyone purchased this type of gauge to test your steering pump?

Thanks in advance, Dean.

thumbnail.jpg

After installing pump and toping off PS fluid resivor, with the engine running, it's necessary to turn steering wheel to both extremes many times to bleed any air out of steering box and PS system. Did you do that ?

After installing pump and toping off PS fluid resivor, with the engine running, it's necessary to turn steering wheel to both extremes many times to bleed any air out of steering box and PS system. Did you do that ?
put the front end on jack stands to remove the weight of the tires and then turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times and check the ps steering fluid again

yes I do know a place that can test the federal style pump if you do not get it sorted out. Trw, Federal, sag they can do all these from the early 64-67 and 68 and later, pm me only for the info if you need it. Good luck.

yes I do know a place that can test the federal style pump if you do not get it sorted out. Trw, Federal, sag they can do all these from the early 64-67 and 68 and later, pm me only for the info if you need it. Good luck.
can you PM me who does ?

put the front end on jack stands to remove the weight of the tires and then turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times and check the ps steering fluid again
That makes sense. I did receive a message from the vendor I purchased the pump from and he said that the pressure relief valve that bolts to the top of the gear box, which the has the return hose connected to it, has two springs in it and if it gets stuck in the "open" position, there is no power assist. After I put the front wheels up on the stands and try to bleed the system, if it doesn't work, I will then unhook the pressure side of the hose and start the engine to see if I have any pressure coming from the pump itself. If that test shows the fluid coming out, then I'll look to the pressure valve on the steering box. This is my pressure hose to the steering box and pump. Thanks for all the responses, I'll get back to you with my results.

Edelman hose #70329 onto pump.JPG

Edelman hose with correct bend for 90 dgeree fitting.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back