• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify this hood scoop?

Magnes

Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
Here's the deal... Back in the late 90's, when I was a young man, I saved my first Plymouth from the junkyard. A 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus.

The car had the regular Satellite hood with the center section blacked out. In the center section of the hood it had the hood scoop you can see in the pictures. I have never seen another Satellite with one like it so that leads me to believe some previous owner had put it on. But I remember that this scoop fit the hood really good.

Unfortunately some idiotic irresponsible driver crashed into that car and totaled it out long ago so this is the best pics I have of it...

2v9w4ci.jpg

2eehjk0.jpg

2mq7n6x.jpg

Any ideas what that scoop could have come off of?

Those were pretty common back in the 70's, we used to call them NASCAR scoops, there were a lot of companies back then splashing different style aftermarket scoops, that one in particular use to end up on quite a few big body Fords and Mopars, I believe it was primarily designed for Cyclones, hard to find them today except used or nos, I would buy one if they made a cheap aftermarket one, they were one of the cooler ones that didn't look like a mustang scoop. The one pictured below is from a Cyclone, the Mopar version was straight across in the front instead of pointed like this one.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/4399616570.html

T2eC16JHJGkE9no8gJOvBRMj7r60_57_zps18314be1.jpg

EDIT;
I may have found someone making them, for S10's of all things, but looks period correct like the one you have pictured, a little pricy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-S-10-S10-Hood-Scoop-By-MR-Hood-Scoop-UNPAINTED-HS005-/181376589420?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3ae31e6c&vxp=mtr

2014-04-12_053803_zps5dcc7b46.jpg

EDIT take 2;

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/95110/10002/-1?parentProductId=2677714

http://www.jegs.com/i/SLP/847/10005/10002/-1

I think.....
It came off either a 67 "E-Code" Cougar (yup, only Ford/Mercury pony car with a 427) OR a 70-71 Mercury Cyclone, Torino
As "old_skool" pointed out.

Might actually be a Mopar hood scoop, look what I just bought at the Mid Ohio Mopar Swap Meet today, no, I'm not rubbing salt in the wound, I did say I wanted one as well in my first post. And it's not some newer plastic double tape job either, it's 70's-ish with the studs still intact. Seller wasn't sure what it was from, but he was only into Mopars.

DSC_0014_zps8ddbd367.jpg

There were a lot of great deals to be had there, 69chargerboy picked up a couple big block HP manifolds, there were a lot of good buys!

I don't recall ever seeing a factory scoop like this on any Mopars. As some have pointed out, it looks like a Ford/Mercury piece. Scoops were all the rage during the 60's & 70's and guys were bolting anything they could find on their hoods and that was probably the case with this one.

I'm thinking it may not be factory, but aftermarket pro-street, super stock somewhere in the run what-ya-brung old school racing scoops, but I believe that it was still made for both Mopar and Ford primarily, even if not make or model specific

- - - Updated - - -

It's still going to look cool on my Charger :pink banana:

Dang old_skool... I think that's the same one. Great find!

Wanna sell it? (well I know you don't WANT to sell it but usually everything has its price)

The one I scored is probably as old as my car, super heavy duty too. I know everything has a price, you can pm me an offer, but doubt I'm going to let it go, especially after visualizing what it will look like:beavisnbutthead:

DSC_0001_zps173fb9f8.jpg

DSC_0002_zps0fa89b7b.jpg

way back in the "old days".....JC Whitney had 2 pages of "universal" scoops....might have been from there...

I do not recognize that scoop ever being stock on any Mopar

Thank you very much Photon440! You really cleaned those pics up nicely.

I took them with a disposable camera, lost the camera, found it several years later and the pics came out messed up... So this is the best I have seen that car look in many many years

I am 100% sure that is the scoop off of a 1979-1982 Ford Mustang. That scoop made it's first appearance on the 1979 Cobra 4cyl Turbo Mustang. It went on to be used on the 5.0 V8 GT models as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Link here.... http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ford-mustang-cobra-79.305219/

I am 100% sure that is the scoop off of a 1979-1982 Ford Mustang. That scoop made it's first appearance on the 1979 Cobra 4cyl Turbo Mustang. It went on to be used on the 5.0 V8 GT models as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Link here.... http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ford-mustang-cobra-79.305219/

You know... After searching and searching I had JUST come to the same conclusion. Thank You!

15xvl8w.jpg

286r1pi.jpg

2wox5dv.jpg

It looks like some came with a facia of sorts that blocked off the inside of the scoop, and some did not.

I am almost certain that's where this scoop had to have come from. I will do a bit more research to find out for sure if the measurements of it will match my old pictures but that HAS to be the same scoop I had on my old car.

Thank you guys very much for all the ideas and help

(Please forgive me for posting pics of Rustangs on this site. I just wanted to show them for comparison :) )

Thank you very much Photon440! You really cleaned those pics up nicely.

I took them with a disposable camera, lost the camera, found it several years later and the pics came out messed up... So this is the best I have seen that car look in many many years

You're quite welcome. Here's the other one:

2eehjk0.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the one i scored is probably as old as my car, super heavy duty too. I know everything has a price, you can pm me an offer, but doubt i'm going to let it go, especially after visualizing what it will look like:beavisnbutthead:

dsc_0001_zps173fb9f8.gif

dsc_0002_zps0fa89b7b.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really don't like cars with aftermarket scoops added do you...? hahaha, once I put mine on, I'm posting a pic on your build thread just to be annoying lol

Auto Transport Service
Back