• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify this Tachometer?

AA1 68 R/T

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea who makes this tach and what does it fit? I surely don’t think it fits a 68 Charger

94051D62-746D-4638-8785-551D7B8F6074.jpeg

E7DA1347-56A9-435A-9F6B-8217C01DF344.jpeg

the green line makes me think stewart warner

What does the back side look like?

@AA1 68 R/T - You're not the only one with one....I found his on the web....

a100-hell-project-finally-the-right-tachometer.jpg

A100 Hell Project: Finally, the Right Tachometer

You could buy this type of no-name tach from J.C. Whitney or Manny, Moe, and Jack for at least two solid decades. It’s got the right blend of 50s industro-chic and Early Malaise Era plasticky cheapness to go with my Sportsman Custom’s instrument cluster, which probably cost Chrysler about $4.17 to make. It will look just right bolted to the steering column.

I’m pretty sure the 4-6-8 selector feature on generic tachometers didn’t appear until the 1980s, but the Japanese factory that made these things probably didn’t change the essential design from its early-60s original until Gulf War I.

a100-hell-project-finally-the-right-tachometer.jpg

How in the world did you find that article lol?
Thank you for finding it. I was looking all over this tach and could not find who produced this tach. This tech was in my 68 charger that I recently purchased.

Thank you for finding it. I was looking all over this tach and could not find who produced this tach. This tech was in my 68 charger that I recently purchased.
Key words..... I used the phrase "Vintage American tachometer"

Your photo brings up nothing....but it matches almost perfect to what I found.

@AA1 68 R/T - You're not the only one with one....I found his on the web....

View attachment 1391857

A100 Hell Project: Finally, the Right Tachometer

You could buy this type of no-name tach from J.C. Whitney or Manny, Moe, and Jack for at least two solid decades. It’s got the right blend of 50s industro-chic and Early Malaise Era plasticky cheapness to go with my Sportsman Custom’s instrument cluster, which probably cost Chrysler about $4.17 to make. It will look just right bolted to the steering column.

I’m pretty sure the 4-6-8 selector feature on generic tachometers didn’t appear until the 1980s, but the Japanese factory that made these things probably didn’t change the essential design from its early-60s original until Gulf War I.

View attachment 1391858
:rofl: I bought a new tach in 70 that had the 6 and 8 switch but don't remember if it had the 4 banger 'position' :D

It's my web site :D

Auto Transport Service
Back