• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I ask for some A/C help advice/opinions please...

Feed the blower through a relay.... Use the existing high speed to trigger the relay, feed the medium speed through the current high speed connection & move the low speed to the medium connection....

The original low speed setting it so slow you might not even know the fan is running... So using the original medium as low works well & as you know the original high isn't very fast either so making it medium works well...

On the relay hook pin 30 to the output of the alternator.. 87 to a Tee at the fan connection.. 85 gets grounded & 86 gets fed from the highspeed signal from the switch....
Wow that’s a home run. Really blows away my hillbilly plan.

took car on a 1.5 hour drive today. Max cool really doesn’t have any flow. Reg ac felt pretty good. It seemed at one point the fan got slow, turned it off for awhile and A few minutes later it felt good again. Sounds like I need to get this done.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. Looks like the truck will be getting a relay.
Did the foam flush on the air box Evap/Heater core that helped allot.
Yes since my car had a working factory A/C setup I ordered up a flush kit for the evaporator to clean it out of any/all R12 that was in there before I did the new install.
Ron

Well I got the car out today and was super impressed for about 30 minutes and then things went backwards!
Today is 85-86 degrees and took the car out for about an hour, backroads and hyway. Engine temperature never got over 160 degrees. ( 2nd line on factory gauge and 160 on the mechanical Auto-meter gauge)
Vent temps. started at 43 and within a few minutes as low as 38 degrees. Seemed to hoover at 40 degrees. I was loving life!!!!
Well about 35 -40 minutes into drive back to 43-45 and as time went on 50 degrees????
The last 2 miles or so I turned the system off and came back to the garage.
In the next few minutes it poured water out of the drain tube on my header. SOOOOOOO could this system have froze up??? The clutch was still turning when I restarted the car and nothing looks bad at every joint.
I'm going to start the car up later to see if back to working and then I guess if it does I need to put the gauges back on and maybe let some Freon out? I hate not having alot of knowledge in a system and really hate that Classic Air has been useless with help.
Ron

could this system have froze up???
Ron,Back in the late 70's on a humid day my Charger(Factory air) would freeze if I ran it too long on Max air.
As late as mid 2,000's My 2003 Ram pickup would do the same when I traveled back east on humid days.
It may not,or may still on the standard setting instead of Max. Humidity :mad:

I am no AC expert by any means but it sounds like it froze up. How do you have the temp cutout switch sensor connected? It needs to be insulated real well so engine heat does not affect it. I found the insulation supplied by classic sucked so I bought a roll of good stuff and insulated it properly. I also used a hose clamp to secure it to the line instead of the crappy clamp they provide. If your going to Carlisle I can bring some of the insulation for you. I have 25' and only needed 1 or so.

IMG_3346.JPG

My troubles with fan speed happens on max cool for over an hour. Leaving it off for a bit and restarting on reg ac went well the rest of the trip. Maybe mine was freezing up. It was COOOOOOOLLLLLDDDD that hour. This was my first real drive with ac on one of these so take that for what it is worth.

My troubles with fan speed happens on max cool for over an hour. Leaving it off for a bit and restarting on reg ac went well the rest of the trip. Maybe mine was freezing up. It was COOOOOOOLLLLLDDDD that hour. This was my first real drive with ac on one of these so take that for what it is worth.
Out of curiosity, was the system a R-134A retro fit? If so, did you REMOVE the Evaporator Pressure Regulator in the suction inlet to the compressor, if it is the V2 unit? If it's the Sunden compressor system, did you install a new Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) that is compatible with the refrigerant used (assuming R-134A) as this controls the liquid refrigerant entering the Evaporator. Too much refrigerant will cause flooding and subsequent freezing of the condensed water, on the air side, especially with high humidity conditions; conversely, too little refrigerant will cause poor cooling and higher air side temperatures. The TXV controls the amount of SUPER HEAT in the exiting evaporator pressure and temperature. Most, but not all, systems cycle the compressor clutch off/on to maintain an average evaporator pressure of approximately 35-40 psi to yield approximately 38°F - 40° F air side temperature. Perhaps your pressure switch is defective......just a thought. Just my opinion of course,....
BOB RENTON

A couple things,
1st I think you're a little low of freon. Maybe add half a can additional. When I did the coronet I put 80% of the r12 the tag calls for. I had 42 degrees all day on a 90 degree day.
2nd put the blower motor on a 12v relay. Works same as upgrading the head lights.
3rd put a temp probe/control relay on the large line exiting the firewall , That will help 2 things - compressor will cut off if low on freon and will turn the comp off if the evap gets to cold. freezes up. I used a Murray 35720
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../automotive-car-2005-dodge-neon?q=35720&pos=1

And a Murray 38844 expansion valve

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...14538/automotive-car-1969-dodge-charger?pos=0

Last edited:
I agree with temp probe cut out, I've actually seen it work on my fury.
I've also done the relay fed high speed fan and installed a new motor in the fury and rebuilt the heater box but it's still no where near as strong as the aftermarket fan in my charger.

I am no AC expert by any means but it sounds like it froze up. How do you have the temp cutout switch sensor connected? It needs to be insulated real well so engine heat does not affect it. I found the insulation supplied by classic sucked so I bought a roll of good stuff and insulated it properly. I also used a hose clamp to secure it to the line instead of the crappy clamp they provide. If your going to Carlisle I can bring some of the insulation for you. I have 25' and only needed 1 or so.

View attachment 1493035
I glad you posted this picture of your lines and firewall. I will say the switch they provided is similar to yours but not the same exact (probably just a different vendor) I have my switch secured off on of the fan motor studs hoping to hide it a bit and yes then you to that tube along with the capillary from the expansion valve. I know I used a worm clamp instead of their provided piece. I can't swear though if the one from the switch is also clamped to the tube or just held in there by the black tape stuff.
But there's more: My buddy told me to come over to his house and we'll put the gauges on again because he thought it was probably low. Well although nothing was found by sight or felt anyway at any connection he feels it may have a leak. It ate another can like nothing and still not as cold as today started so the plan is to put some dye in and see what we see. Won't be able to get to it for a couple of days so stay tuned!!!

****T2R9: I won't be at Carlisle but thank you for your offer!!!*****

Does your family call you T2R9 also????haha

Ron

Out of curiosity, was the system a R-134A retro fit? If so, did you REMOVE the Evaporator Pressure Regulator in the suction inlet to the compressor, if it is the V2 unit? If it's the Sunden compressor system, did you install a new Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) that is compatible with the refrigerant used (assuming R-134A) as this controls the liquid refrigerant entering the Evaporator. Too much refrigerant will cause flooding and subsequent freezing of the condensed water, on the air side, especially with high humidity conditions; conversely, too little refrigerant will cause poor cooling and higher air side temperatures. The TXV controls the amount of SUPER HEAT in the exiting evaporator pressure and temperature. Most, but not all, systems cycle the compressor clutch off/on to maintain an average evaporator pressure of approximately 35-40 psi to yield approximately 38°F - 40° F air side temperature. Perhaps your pressure switch is defective......just a thought. Just my opinion of course,....
BOB RENTON
Car has all factory setup. Converted before I got it. They did a poor job, left half or more o rings black or missing. They also left one old line on and painted it. I did all green o rings and changed the small hose, also installed new drier and expansion valve. Guy that charged it added some oil and put in 3 pounds of 134.

Wow! Just read your story about Classic. I sent my unit (69 Charger) to them in October 2022. They got it back to me in April but it was a disaster. The linkage was stuck in place and one actuator did bot work. There was an incorrect fitting coming out of the evaporator.
Like you they would not answer my calls or emails until I finally got in touch with the president. I sent the unit back in June and finally got it back yesterday, July 14. That's 9 months!

In the Charger maintenance manual the wet bulb inlet air at 82 degrees should have a dry bulb of 60 degrees on the outlet. The low side compressor reading at 82 degrees outside air temperature should read 83.7 psi.

I recently installed the Classic Auto Air underhood conversion kit :

72 Charger/72-74 Barracuda A/C Performance Upgrade Kit Big Block STAGE-2

My car is a 72 Satellite 400 car with factory A/C but I wanted the Sanden Style compressor and High Efficiency condenser etc... for a few reasons.

Less load on my engine and cooler air from what I'm told.

I may be installing an Air Grabber hood in the future so needed the room too.

I had all my factory stuff rebuilt by Classic 8 years ago but I could see the RV 2 compressor was probably in need of another rebuild by the high side #'s I was getting and the air was cool but not cold air.

****Note I had the driveway resealed so can't take the car out for a few days.*****

So today it's 82 degrees with like 70% humidity and I have (3) 12oz. cans into the system (36oz. total) with these #'s

15 low side and 165 high side, the pencil thermometer reads 43 degrees with windows open A/C set to MAX and fan speed low idling in my garage.

43 degrees is what I get out of my 2020 Buick so am I done or do you believe I may still be a few oz's low with my readings???

I know the complete kits from Vintage Air and Classic with their evaporator usually take 20 to 22 oz's total to be high 30 to low 40 degrees temperatures.

I can't even get a call back or an e-mail answered from Classic Air and have read the other horror stories about the new ownership on here all the time!!!

Thanks for reading this novel!!!
Ron
Are we correct assuming you charged with R134a ?

Guys yes it was charged with 134A, no additives no similar products. In
fact I have a case of the 134 equivalent and some R12 cans sitting here I will have to sell, I bought it when I didn't know any better and my stock setup was using R12 still.
Thanks Ron

Ron my family calls me Jeff. T2R9 is a territory in Northern Maine where I had a camp on 50 acres where I would decompress from the world.

I recently installed the Classic Auto Air underhood conversion kit :

72 Charger/72-74 Barracuda A/C Performance Upgrade Kit Big Block STAGE-2

My car is a 72 Satellite 400 car with factory A/C but I wanted the Sanden Style compressor and High Efficiency condenser etc... for a few reasons.

Less load on my engine and cooler air from what I'm told.

I may be installing an Air Grabber hood in the future so needed the room too.

I had all my factory stuff rebuilt by Classic 8 years ago but I could see the RV 2 compressor was probably in need of another rebuild by the high side #'s I was getting and the air was cool but not cold air.

****Note I had the driveway resealed so can't take the car out for a few days.*****

So today it's 82 degrees with like 70% humidity and I have (3) 12oz. cans into the system (36oz. total) with these #'s

15 low side and 165 high side, the pencil thermometer reads 43 degrees with windows open A/C set to MAX and fan speed low idling in my garage.

43 degrees is what I get out of my 2020 Buick so am I done or do you believe I may still be a few oz's low with my readings???

I know the complete kits from Vintage Air and Classic with their evaporator usually take 20 to 22 oz's total to be high 30 to low 40 degrees temperatures.

I can't even get a call back or an e-mail answered from Classic Air and have read the other horror stories about the new ownership on here all the time!!!

Thanks for reading this novel!!!
Ron
If you are running the factory style compressor and R-134 freon, there is a EPR valve in the compressor, it was used to control the flow of the freon, it is not compatible with R-134. You have to convert the system to be a cycling type, like all new cars since R-134 was introduced. You may know this information. I have done a couple underhood retrofits and the companies did not explain this at all. If you are using the factory stuff under the dash, you will have to install a switch on the low side under the hood. And remove the EPR valve. The 165 high and 15 low side pressures are both really low with R-134, should be more like 250 and 38 lbs.

If you are running the factory style compressor and R-134 freon, there is a EPR valve in the compressor, it was used to control the flow of the freon, it is not compatible with R-134. You have to convert the system to be a cycling type, like all new cars since R-134 was introduced. You may know this information. I have done a couple underhood retrofits and the companies did not explain this at all. If you are using the factory stuff under the dash, you will have to install a switch on the low side under the hood. And remove the EPR valve. The 165 high and 15 low side pressures are both really low with R-134, should be more like 250 and 38 lbs.
I said the same thing back in response #27 re the EPR VALVE. The suction and discharge pressures are temperature related not so much volume related. My readings may be totally different than you readings.....performance is the criteria not so much as achieving a given pressure.....
BOB RENTON

How would one find said switch? What happens if the epr is left in?

How would one find said switch? What happens if the epr is left in?
IMO...if the EPR valve is left in service, assuming the V2 compressor, it will act like a restriction to the suction pressure. As the EPR VALVE has a bellows assembly internal to the valve and reacts to pressure changes of R12, and R134A has different pressure characteristics, the valve will not respond correctly, likely causing a restriction and a reduced compressor capacity and a lack of cooling.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back