• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I remove weight from 73 charger front bumper?

callofthemopar

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Can I remove any weight from the front bumper. I changed my rear brackets and removed the long angle stiffening bars from the rear bumper and lost weight there So I was wondering if the front had any parasitic weight that can be tossed?

Yes.

There are similar heavy steel reinforcements for the front bumper. The removal of the rear reinforcement only will shift the weight bias to the front of an already front heavy design.

So, to a certain extent, you need to remove the front reinforcing to restore the original weight balance of the car. Likewise, you may also need to adjust the torsion bars to lower the front suspension ride height after removing the weight of the front reinforcing for the bumper. A check of the alignment would also be required after resetting the ride height unless you adjust the ride height to exactly the same as before removal of the front bumper reinforcement.

You will also need to install spacers, in the form of washers, to set the outer chromed light gauge steel bumper shell in the same place as before. The chromed shells without the reinforcements are pretty flimsy.... so be very careful in remounting them not to torque or bend them as you tighten the mounting bolts.

HOWEVER, BEWARE! Any frontal or rear impact (even very minor ones) will likely result in much greater body damage!!!!!! And possibly greater injury to the passengers and you in an accident.

I leave mine in figuring that the factory had a very good reason for putting them in the first place.

73runner, I thank you for your input and will take all into consideration. My rear bumper, lights, & brackets are all from a 72 now. I like that style much better. I have removed my bumper fillers on both front and back and moved both closer to the body. I have also moved battery to the trunk to offset weight from the front. I know 71-74 are nose heavy like a pickup and want to more evenly distribute the weight. I also thank you for the impact warning, I hit a tree 30 yrs.ago at speeds nearing 80 with a 72 and walked away with only feelings hurt.

Wow!!!! You were very lucky. I got hit head on by a distracted driver in January and just started walking without a cane in June.

Just as an additional note, I do beleive there are fiberglass bumpers available as well but as previously mentioned this may not be desireable on the street as these would be completely useless in any impact whatsoever but very light for sure. There are fiberglass fenders out there as well but I dont beleive they are available new anymore, for 73-4 anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back