• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I take the A/C off?

Oppose.o

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi, this is my 71 Plymouth satellite 318. This car seems to have every possible factory option put on it and I was wondering if I can take the A/c system off to make it simpler in the engine bay. As a 14 year old with little mechanical knowledge having a bunch of extra hoses in a car makes it difficult to see what I actually need to replace. Thanks!
IMG_20220627_185354446.jpg

I feel you would be making a mistake to remove the ac. If you’re looking to clean up the engine bay it will, but on a 100 degree day and your legs stick to the vinyl seats you may experience regret.

Yes, you can take it off. You'll need to source new/used non-AC pulley's and belts as they are different than the AC stuff. Save and tag everything... you'll probably want to put it back on some day.

Yes, you can take it off. You'll need to source new/used non-AC pulley's and belts as they are different than the AC stuff. Save and tag everything... you'll probably want to put it back on some day.
Yeah nevermind then, do you know anything else that I could take out and put back in once the car can actually be driven though?

#41 has the right Idea. 14 years old ! good for you . What ever your plans are for the car you can bare bones it as much as you like.
You looking to Hot Rod it ? if so you can remove all along with the heater A/C box under the dash. I had a 72 with not much under the hood.
You may be able to just remove the A/C stuff,Hoses, compressor and mounts. Then use the same pulleys and run 1 belt that you will have to measure for the right size leaving the water pump and crank pulleys alone. May or may not affect the power steering belt routing.

72plymouth GTX-R ENG.JPG

Last edited:
Man you bring back memories. I use to take the a/c off everything. Extra weight. In the way. Less is more. Now I’m old and if it didn’t have a/c it gets converted. Anything you take off just save. One day you might want it back on there.

First of all it’s awesome to see a 14 year old with a b body. Heck I thought I was one of the younger guys at 34! I like the clean engine bay too and deleted all creature comforts in my 64. No heat, no blower, no AC, no power steering or power brakes. You will need different pulleys and such but keep the original stuff bagged and tagged. One day you may want it as mentioned above.

I always remove the ac from my old cars. Small blocks are easy just measure the length you need and bypass the ac. You will only be able to run one belt as the other would hit the water pump. Big blocks are more of a pain. I didnt feel like trying to find the non ac brackets for the alternator so i made my own setup out of an old rusty piece of angle iron i found in the shop. I used an alternator belt from a N/A 88' volvo 740 I already had, it fit perfectly.

IMG-20200611-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20200611-WA0008.jpg

You'll want that AC back in about 10 yrs or so. Fix it, run it. Heck, take it up as a trade.

:lol:

Yeah nevermind then, do you know anything else that I could take out and put back in once the car can actually be driven though?

Not sure what you are getting at, but when I was 16 I used to drive around with no interior except the driver seat, no heater, and no jack or spare just to be a little bit lighter and faster. Sometimes I would be missing the hood, front bumper, ..... even a fender for a few days when I had removed it to put on another and did not finish the job in one day.

Really, it's best to keep the car together as much as possible and focus on getting it running and driving.

Please stop before you go to far. These are recommendations that have nothing to do with age.
Always have a clean, clear and safe area to work. Use the proper tools. Have a place to store all the parts so they don't get lost.
It always helps to have someone help you especially if they have some mechanical experience. Two sets of eyes, hands and brains is usually better than one.
#1 Download or buy the Proper year Factory Service Manual for your car. Here is a link for a free download. Service Manuals – MyMopar
#2 Familiarize your self with each mechanical system by reading that section of the manual. It will give you the information that was originally given to the mechanics at the Dealer ship to service the car. Good info and pictures.
#3 Take lots of pictures from every angle.
#4 Buy a box each of quart and gallon zip-locks bags and a black marker.
#5 As you remove each item, mark the bag with what is going in it and keep all the bolts, washers, nuts etc... together.
#6 Take your time.

Last edited:
If you pull the whole system, I'll buy the whole system.....lmk

Auto Transport Service
Back