• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone please explain tattoos?

I always liked Charles Emerson Winchester's line in M.A.S.H. " Tattoos are the common mans way of investing in art."

You have obviously not been into a quality tattoo parlor recently. For an artist that knows their shiz, has a reputation, and has the education you are paying quite a bit an hour. My wife is currently working on a half sleeve (neither I or her will ever get tatted up below our elbow) her artist charges $175/hour. We are estimated at about $3K+ when it's all said and done. Some would think this is a waste of money including some of you guys though there are those that think building a car for tens of thousands of dollars only to trailer it to a car show every now and then is a waste as well.

I love tattoos, I don't have many but I appreciate the art work and skill that goes into them as well as the historical significance they have in our culture as well as many around the world. The only place I don't like them is the face and chest...even for guys but that's my taste.

ONE possible reason? Some guys are total wimps but feel the need to appear like a bad ***.
It used to be that a guy with a tattoo was edgy, a rebel or an outlaw. Guys in motorcycle gangs, Sailors and dudes that did time in prison often had tattoos. Nowadays, guys with hands as soft as a woman have them. Very sad.
Also, a BEARD used to be something that only tough guys had. Hunters, Outdoorsmen and manly men. Again, nowadays you see guys with full beards wearing skinny jeans, talking on their iphone while possessing absolutely NO man skills. These are "men" that cannot change a tire.
I resisted growing a goatee for years because I saw too many White collar office jerkoffs with them. I'm talking about the dudes that get their eyebrows waxed, get manicures, drink Starcucks coffee and vote totally opposite of what I do.
Me? NO tattoos. I do not plan to get any either. I did grow out the goatee. I keep it because the Wife really likes it.

You need to move, we don't allow all that in the show me state. We let normal people get tattoos and beards... LOL. I have a friend with full sleeves on both arms, was in the army, normal build, normal size and makes more money than God should allow. He's just a wimpy anesthesiologists. Just for the record, my friend and dentist has a big full beard and I've had a mustache since I was 21 and a goatee since I was 30. I do keep them trimmed to about as short as possible, so I'm somewhere between wimpy and a tough guy........ LOL

You have obviously not been into a quality tattoo parlor recently. For an artist that knows their shiz, has a reputation, and has the education you are paying quite a bit an hour. My wife is currently working on a half sleeve (neither I or her will ever get tatted up below our elbow) her artist charges $175/hour. We are estimated at about $3K+ when it's all said and done. Some would think this is a waste of money including some of you guys though there are those that think building a car for tens of thousands of dollars only to trailer it to a car show every now and then is a waste as well.

I love tattoos, I don't have many but I appreciate the art work and skill that goes into them as well as the historical significance they have in our culture as well as many around the world. The only place I don't like them is the face and chest...even for guys but that's my taste.
I’ll never understand it. I can appreciate the artistic ability but hang that **** on a wall. Tattoos look ok until your body starts to go to **** and if you ever mature past the tattoo stage, you’re stuck with it and everyone gets to see it if you weren’t smart enough to put it in a location that’s concealed by clothing. My wife has a couple so I’m not a hater. I’ll just never understand the desire to do that to my God given meat sack... lol.

I understand that girls with tattoos are a bit "spicey". They like pain to feel good.

Tattoo removal will be huge business in the next decade or so.

It's pretty big now, I hear it's just as painful as getting a tattoo.

The way I see it it's not really different than getting a lawyer to help correct a poor decision. Costly and sometimes painful.

I have tattoos. When i get to be old like most of you guys i doubt anyone is gonna want to see my body let alone give a **** about anything drawn on it. Hell they dont care now. Sounds like a bunch of old ladies around here again....

If you mind your own business you wont be minding mine.

I have tattoos. When i get to be old like most of you guys i doubt anyone is gonna want to see my body let alone give a **** about anything drawn on it. Hell they dont care now. Sounds like a bunch of old ladies around here again....

If you mind your own business you wont be minding mine.
Good points, PP1RT. Trouble is, some of those people out there want to make a statement and be looked it - people minding their own business spoils the intent.

And for those others who mention that spending money on a tattoo is a personal choice no different than spending money on cars or another hobby, that's fine too. Except that if times are tough and you need some cash, or get tired of the car, you can sell it and get at least part of your money back.

I have many friends with tattoos, family members too. And I know people in both parties who ended up being dissatisfied with certain artwork and ended up paying more to have it altered, covered up and disguised. It didn't look better. And there's always the person who stays sheltered at the beach to keep the sun off her tattoos...

thats-my-boy-crop-2.jpg

Now he's getting a tattoo.
Yeah he's gettin' ink done.
He asked for a '13', but they drew a '31'.

From 'Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)' by The Offspring.

I have a few. I have a job. I pay taxes. I know how to change a tire. I've never been arrested. Who cares???

Yeah, well you don't look or seem like a guy that is trying to prove anything.
Don't misunderstand my words...I did not mean to imply that everyone with ink is trying to present an image. I think that many DO though. I recall a guy at a 7-11 near my old house. He was a clerk. One day I rolled in and he was wearing a hat down low. A few days later I saw he had a big tat across his forehead. What ??? Why would anyone do something like that? I like funny tattoos. A buddy of mine said a tractor operator friend of his had a backhoe tattooed on his back with the excavator bucket into his asscrack. I think he was bullshitting me on that though.

Hahaha, no worries Kern. I wasn't bitching at anyone in particular. And no, I'm not trying to impress anyone nor do I give a **** what anyone thinks. Just seems that this thread has gotten a little whiny.
I'm sure some people say the same **** about dudes with brightly colored, loud cars......
I'll say this, my favorite thing about tattoos is that they're optional! :lol:
With that being said, tattoos have definitely gotten weird. Lots of kids getting face tattoos these days. Yikes! I hope they like them in 50 years assuming they're smart enough to still be living.
And as far as tattooed people getting older, I always remembered my grand father and his blurry tattoos. I always thought they were cool. He was a REAL badass. Veteran, teenage coal miner, amateur boxer etc.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess......

Yeah, well you don't look or seem like a guy that is trying to prove anything.
Don't misunderstand my words...I did not mean to imply that everyone with ink is trying to present an image. I think that many DO though. I recall a guy at a 7-11 near my old house. He was a clerk. One day I rolled in and he was wearing a hat down low. A few days later I saw he had a big tat across his forehead. What ??? Why would anyone do something like that? I like funny tattoos. A buddy of mine said a tractor operator friend of his had a backhoe tattooed on his back with the excavator bucket into his asscrack. I think he was bullshitting me on that though.

Man, where have you been!! Took this long for you comment..... LOL!! you almost took the fun right out of all of this!! This has been entertaining!!!

I remember when media industry propaganda was all about pushing cigarettes on Joe Consumer... now it's all about the Tattoo

Auto Transport Service
Back