• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can the oilpan be removed?

rrowdy

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the oil pan can be removed with the engine remaining in the car? This car is a 63 Fury with a big block.

It looks like it could be done by removing the tie rods and center link
but I'd like to know if anyone here has tried it.

Thx in advance

There is plenty of room after the center link is swung out of the way (just remove the one tie driver's side tie rod end at the wheel side). Just did this a couple months back.

You may also have to turn the crank to get the weights out of the way in order to slide the pan out.

Did it last weekend.

Thanks guys!

That's what I wanted to hear. I can remember when Pulling engines was fun........It isn't anymore.

If your pan is baffled, that might cause you to have to raise the engine some. At least that's what I had to do on a 70 440 Charger. The pickup gets hung up on the baffle and won't let it slide back very much.

Thanks guys!

That's what I wanted to hear. I can remember when Pulling engines was fun........It isn't anymore.
Are you old like me now? lol

Our cars are so simple I can pull mine out and put it back in in less than 45 minutes. I had to do it to torque the flexplate bolts.

I once even pulled the crank like that. Hard to believe there's enough room. Can't remember if I had to raise the engine on one side or not tho.

oilpan

I once even pulled the crank like that. Hard to believe there's enough room. Can't remember if I had to raise the engine on one side or not tho.
back years ago when we were racing my brother-in-law did it one nite when i told him it wouldnt work.:eek:

If you insist, I am sure it can be done.

But if I need an oil pan off, I just take the engine out. Its really pretty straightforward. If its a real old one, disconnecting the exhaust might take a few extra minutes, but I can have the engine and if need be, trans, completely out of one of my Coronets, Challenger or Cuda by lunch and back in by dinner. At a real easy pace. By myself. No lift, just jackstands and an old Snap-on engine hoist.

Just my 2c, by the time you monkey around trying to get all those bolts out, possibly have to unbolt the mounts and jack up the engine and possibly still have the pan wedged against a counterweight or baffle, you might actually save time just pulling it...

I just did mine in my '65 about 3 weeks ago. no turning the crank; nothing tricky. I moved the rear of the pan toward the drivers side after I started down with it just to get the baffle around the pickup.

Auto Transport Service
Back