• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you convert an e-torque engine to conventional?

I'm not using the e-torque and am using Holley aftermarket ECU

BUT isn't the e-torque's ECU totally different than your Holley's ECU, in terms of processor's capabilities (speed, number of configurable inputs & outputs), required nimber of external input sensors, are the output devices (current sinking transistors) capable of operating the fuel injector solenoids. Electronic components are usually selected based on exact parameters. Its not like selecting spark plugs or oil but exact values.....Mopar pistons are totally different than GM pistons (beside the obvious dimensional differences) and cannot be interchanged...the same thing can be said about brand X and brand Y electronics.....much research about compatibility is required.....just my opinion of course.... best of luck with your endeavours.
BOB RENTON

Bob, all I can suggest is you read up more on these modern engines and the aftermarket controllers available. I have. This question was very specific to the e-torque option. I got my answers on moparts where a guy was able to tell me the only difference is the crank sensor and it can be replaced with a conventional sensor.

Bob, all I can suggest is you read up more on these modern engines and the aftermarket controllers available. I have. This question was very specific to the e-torque option. I got my answers on moparts where a guy was able to tell me the only difference is the crank sensor and it can be replaced with a conventional sensor.

Please provide your references so I can do my own research. Not to be disparaging, your reference to "a guy" (who) on another forum, instills zero confidence. As far as modern engine controls, I'm fairly well versed, but not on the interface devices used on hybrid vehicles' gas/electric controls. Typically, a crankshaft sensor does two functions: determines RPM and where the engine is in the firing order sequence. Most, but not all crankshaft sensors are Hall Effect switches (a magnetically triggered transistor) that conducts in the presence or absense, depending on programming language, of a magnetic pulse. But the crankshaft's reluctor that provides the pulse train also provides the "check sum digit" to reset the ECU to the begining of the firing order. The angular position, of the check sum notch on the crankshaft, is crucial to the ECU, to allow for this check sum pulse (time to execute vs RPM) to reset everything. The switching speed of the Hall Effect Switch must be coordinated with the ECU to be successful. I'm not aware of any "standardized" value that is compatible with everyone's ECU or programming. Please enlighten me as I'm eager to learn......thanks in advance.....
BOB RENTON

um, because I want to use the engine to swap into my 69 Coronet...and has to do with taking an OEM setup and making it work in a retrofit

um, because I want to use the engine to swap into my 69 Coronet...and has to do with taking an OEM setup and making it work in a retrofit

No skin off my nose, but I would think you would probably get more looks and responses in the Engine, Trans & Driveline forum. This one is specifically targeted toward Gen III Hemi swaps and those interested in that, a somewhat limited base. I could be wrong though.

No skin off my nose, but I would think you would probably get more looks and responses in the Engine, Trans & Driveline forum. This one is specifically targeted toward Gen III Hemi swaps and those interested in that, a somewhat limited base. I could be wrong though.
Thanks, I figured I'd get sandblasted for talking about gen III in there :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back