• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't Decide: 4.10, 4.30 or 4.56 Gears

you did say you drive to the track,correct? :icon_question: :icon_confused:

I went from 4.56's with a 29 x10.5 slick to 4.10's and picked up mph and Et. .15 to be exact and 4 mph
in this sled. 10.20 to 10.06 and a best of 9.96

Attachments

• ISLAND NENDRA 6.26.11 005.jpg
    ISLAND NENDRA 6.26.11 005.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 283
Yep, drive it about 50 miles to the track. Driving to the track and gearing for best 1/8 mile ET probably don't go together real well.:BangHead:

I drive with 4.30 and loose converter on the street. But very little over 50 mph. I believe your combo will be fastest with a 4.56. But not .2 worth. If you street drive it alot I'd run the 4.10 The less power you make the more the 4.56 is worth. I'd bet less than .10
Doug

i got ur combo pretty much and i run 4.10 gears, i took out my 4.56 so it would be street friendly, it only slowed me down half a tenth, big deal, its a bracket and index racer as well as a crusier, u will like the 410 better just my opinion, enjoy!

Things seem to be swinging in the direction of the 4.10s on this thread. I have to admit, driving home last Friday from cruise night on the highway in the slow lane with econoboxes zooming past me had me leaning more in the direction of 4.10s as well. I was imagining how much slower I would have been going with 4.56s.

I picked up .15 and 2 mph from a 2" supersucker on back to back runs with 1/2 hr between them. It was 56 dollars off racing junk.
Incidently, i run 31" tyres with 4.56 gears and turn 6700 at the end of the 1/4 mile with a fairly mild combo.
Mick

I use to own a '64 Polara 500, 383 mild build, 727 stock converter. Had the car in the mid to low thirteens, all day. (1/4 mile). 4.56:1 Dana. It was a daily driver. That engine loved that gear...

I used to have 4.30's in my old bird and would run 30" street tires to the track then put on 10.5x28's to race the 1/8th and could still run the quarter if I wanted.

My vote goes to 4.30's. I run an A833 w/ 4.10's and a 30" tire and it honestly could use much more gear, averages out 14MPG on the interstate at 60MPH but also cruises around 3,000RPM. I would go with the 4.30's, no questions asked, especially if you plan to move to a taller tire and run 1/8th mile exclusively. To me it is kind of humorous running on the interstate, as all of our big block-high horsepower mopars sound like their topped out but only driving 60 in the slow lane..:eusa_think:

where is the powerband of the cam as well.... just an example.. my car I went from 3.89's to 3.50's but its cammed to run higher rpms and a heavy car.... I get much better gas mileage on the highway but it doesn't have the snap it had. I was turning closer to 2000 rpms with the 3.89's... but would turn the car sideways in 3 gear if I wanted to.... I really think I will go back to the 3.89's as the engine was cammed for the 3.89 gears.. it gets to its power band in a hurry with the 3.89's resulting in a more violent acceleration as opposed to the long gears now. Which I what I wanted ... or so I thought. Car is a 6 speed but its still a good example of things to think about. weight and cam specs

Cam is a 238 @ .050 duration, .534 lift. Powerband is probably 2,000-6,000. Cars weighs 3600 without me in it/3800 with me.

Right now I'm leaning toward a 4.30 gear with a 28" tall slick.

Near future plans are a Weiand Tunnel Ram with two 1850 Holley 600 vacuum secondary carbs. More distant future plans are some aluminum heads, then after that maybe switch to a solid lifter cam. I want to see how much I can get out of this short block.

Performance goal is to get as close to 7.35 in the 1/8 ET as I can without going under and having to do a bar. Right now my best is 7.86 with the combo in my sig.

I saw an ad online for someone selling a 4.86 10 spline ring and pinion for a 489 case for $90. This would save me about $200 in parts over buying a new ring and pinion and having to buy a new 29 spline yoke (since it is hard to find 10 spline ring and pinions these days).

Should I go for it and let the motor scream all the way to the track when I drive it there? :grin:

I saw an ad online for someone selling a 4.86 10 spline ring and pinion for a 489 case for $90. This would save me about $200 in parts over buying a new ring and pinion and having to buy a new 29 spline yoke (since it is hard to find 10 spline ring and pinions these days).

Should I go for it and let the motor scream all the way to the track when I drive it there? :grin:

Fit the tallest tires you can find for the trip to the track. :)

your joking right?
guess you want to go slower and beat up that motor sooner than later.

Auto Transport Service
Back