• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't find brass synchro rings so looking for additive.

Wallus57

Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Hey folks. I can't find brass synchro ings for my A903 anywhere so I'm going to have to reassemble it as is.
So what kind of additive can I use to give the old rings a little more friction. I'm running atf now but it's still clashing going from first to second And very hard to downshift from third to second.
Any ideas?

Type F is the has the least amount of lubrication of any ATF so try that.

find a car with dirty ATF and pull it out and use on your manual.

Hey folks. I can't find brass synchro ings for my A903 anywhere so I'm going to have to reassemble it as is.
So what kind of additive can I use to give the old rings a little more friction. I'm running atf now but it's still clashing going from first to second And very hard to downshift from third to second.
Any ideas?
You could try to recut the grooves in the rings you have.

Maybe you can get a very sharp 3 corner scraper and scrape out the grooves. It might help them bite enough to sync better.

Try GM Synchromesh Fluid...

Maybe you can get a very sharp 3 corner scraper and scrape out the grooves. It might help them bite enough to sync better.
I mean slip better, duh.

I did think abou that but they are very fine grooves. I'm going to put it back together today so I'll try and do some file "machining" of the synchros lol. Take off some rough edges so to speak.

No. Just very stiff unless I slow down to maybe 10 mph, then it's not as bad.
Sounds more like a clutch that's not fully dis-engaging. Is first gear synchronized on that model trans?

Auto Transport Service
Back