• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't get positive caster

I recently got a car back that I sold twenty years ago, I'd rebuilt the front end using offset bushings twenty five years ago..it still drove fine, just cause I like to know the condition of rubber bushings I tore it down & replaced them... The old ones were in good shape.....

I consider rubber bushings a maintenance item, they are relatively cheap & when worn they can make a car drive pretty poorly... For people that pay to have them replaced it's an expensive endeavor but for those of us who do the work it's pretty cheap... Just a day in the shop...

A few tips... The part of the washers intended to slip into the sleeve of the bushings is a little big to fit... And the hole where the eccentric bolt passes through tends to be a little small... I chamfer the part the goes into the sleeve & run a 1/2" drill through the hole... Then I use a 1/2" bolt & nut to draw both washers onto the bushing....

A few tips... The part of the washers intended to slip into the sleeve of the bushings is a little big to fit... And the hole where the eccentric bolt passes through tends to be a little small... I chamfer the part the goes into the sleeve & run a 1/2" drill through the hole... Then I use a 1/2" bolt & nut to draw both washers onto the bushing....
Thanks for the additional info and tips for install. I appreciate it.

adjustable strut rods make it an easy adjustment.
Couple problems with that.. You can make some gain, but if you take to much you put the lower bushings into a bind.... And honestly I've seen lots of Mopars with tire clearance issues at the from of the fender opening.. When you pull the lower ball joint forward with the strut rod you reduce that clearance. When you push the upper ball joint rearward you increase that clearance....

There is so much slop in the lower control arm (where it rotates for height adjustment) it can be pulled/pushed a bit without any additional pressure on the lower bushing. Only talking adding maybe 2-3 degrees caster, and assuming the upper bushing adjustments are maxed out for caster, the tire should not move very much for or aft.

Auto Transport Service
Back