• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't make out what my rear end reads......

Chris Many

Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to get my rear end sandblasted and am looking to document my inspection marks before they are lost forever. In this picture you can make out the big O with the X in the middle. What is interesting is there is a huge something stamped in yellow across it. looks more like a word of 8 or more characters and not a part number. I just can't make it out. I know I have seen pictures of original rear ends with something similar, but I just don't know where I saw them and what they said. It would be great if anyone had some pictures of what this could have read. Read end is a 2.76:1, 7-1/4" from my 1970 FM3 318 Satellite Conv with A904 trans.

rear end marking.jpg

Have you tried 'wetting' it to help it stand out more?...WD-40, Spray lubricant...plain water? Sometimes this makes it more readable.

7 1/4 rear....no big loss if you were to swap it out. Anything will raise the value of the car......even a freaking 9" or another Ferd..... 8.8 even lol but, the 8 3/4 would be a good one and there are lots of them around :)

7 1/4 rear....no big loss if you were to swap it out. Anything will raise the value of the car......even a freaking 9" or another Ferd..... 8.8 even lol but, the 8 3/4 would be a good one and there are lots of them around :)
That should be a 8 1/4.

That depends on who your Father is.

Auto Transport Service
Back